Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

RuthM New York State

Hi, I have a question about brushing out the bears I make out of mohair. I am currently working on a mohair bear, but the fur is laying flat even when I try to brush with with a softer brush or one of those old coarser cat brushes with the longer bristles. The fur just wants to stay flat. It is a dense mohair, and I think it is about 1/4 inch long fur. So it is a denser and thicker mohair. I was hoping it would look like a bear I purchased from a teddy bear artist which has fuzzy looking fur, not flat. Also, I have been having troubles with this bear anyway because I cut out the bear with the fur going in the wrong direction, which I thought was right. This may be part of my problem, but I don't think so. I made another bear out of mohair, same dense and length of fur (different color), the fur lays flat. I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help me out with this?  bear_sad

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do all kinds of stuff to the mohair to make it behave.  For your next bear you may consider washing it.  Well not so much washing it as getting it good and wet in the sink, ringing it out and putting it in the dryer on low.  That will make it nice and fluffy.  Since the bear is made, you can dampen the fur and use a blow dryer on it just like you do with your hair, it is only hair.  I would brush it in the opposite direction that you want it to go.  Keep the dryer moving so as not to singe the fur.   I usually style my bears a little with the dryer, whether to fluff the fur up or help it lay flat.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree with Joanne. Go ahead and try to style it! :dance:

To make a flattened piece of mohair fluffier, I spritz it all over with water (from a spray bottle) and then put it in the dryer with a couple of clean towels on low heat. The brush it once it's dry.

On the other hand, you might just need a different kind of mohair... Anyway, good luck!

Becky

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi

Regarding your mohair not behaving itself and going in the wrong direction I wet the mohair and then using sellotape, I gently place it across the bears head, flattening the mohair into the direction that I would like it to go.  When it has dried, remove the tape and you should have the result you want.

Poor teddy doesn't always appreciate having sellotape on his head overnight, but it certainly does the trick, particularly with smaller bears or shorter mohair where the hairdryer technique is sometimes tricky.

Hugs

Lisa x

RuthM New York State

Thanks for the suggestions. I did find a nail cleaning brush (never used) that I tried on her this morning. It did help a little.  I will try the blow dryer idea first, and then the sellotape if that doesn't work. I did cut this bear out with the fur in the wrong direction, so she is going to be off with her fur anyway (unforturnately, so I hope I don't make that mistake again). I will put a picture of her on here in the gallary section when she is done. Her name is Sandy. Also, I am going to do the dryer idea before I cut out my next bear with mohair. It sounds like it will fluff up the fur better. Thank you again for the suggestions.  bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Glad to be of help Ruth.  I look forward to seeing your new bear.

Joanne

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Joanne and the others have great suggestions. If the bear is already made, I learned to use non alcohol based moose and blow dry the fur in the direction you want it to go. I learned that in a Ted Menton class.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

If my fur is freaking out, I simply wet it, brush it the way I want it to go and let it air dry. Once it has dried, I just give it a quick brushing with a fingertip brush and I am good to go!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

RuthM New York State

Thanks for all the responses. I did try the blow drying technique. She looks better than she did. I am placing a picture of her on the showcase. She is not very good compared to the other beautiful bears and friends on the showcase section here, but I am proud of how she came out compared to my previous bears I have made. See her on the showcase page. Also, I changed my avitar to Chester. He is one of my more recent bears, too.  bear_original

Board footer