Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

Hi everybody,

I like to try to make a Nose out of Polymer Clay.
How do you fasten a polymer clay Nose onto the Bears Face?
And, does the polymer clay has to be baked or can it be airdryed?

One more ( dumb ) Question, what is an "Avator" everybody keeps talking about?
http://www.myblackforestbears.com/

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, there are NO dumb questions!!!  I didn't know what an avatar was when I started on the message board, either.  It's the little photo in the box to the left side of your message.  There is a "sticky" with information on how to get one up called "Creating your avatar" under the General Discussion topic.  Sorry, but I can't answer your question about noses, but there are MANY talented artists here who can.  Good luck!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Rita & Sue Ann !

Rita, You can find about " Polymer Clay Nose"  at the previous post (POST DAY:11MAY)
" How do you affix polymer noses?".

I'm just making my first clay nose too :)
I bought *FIMO clay*(black) which need to be bake with oven. The craft shop person said
FIMO is most easy one to use and it comes in small size. 
I don't know if there is any non-bake one can use for nose....and wright now my problem is
how to knead this clay to make more smooth :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope this will help !
Bear Hugs/Marie

Largo,Florida

Thanks Marie and Sue Ann,

I check the post about Noses right away.
I wish I could just stay on this Forum a little longer, I always am so busy with my Store, and in the Evening I "steal some time" to make Bears

Bear Hugs
Rita

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Rita, I didn't know you have a store.  Could you please tell us about it? bear_original

Largo,Florida

Laure,

I sell in my Store Native American Crafts & Gifts, Turquoise Jewelry, and also German Collectibles http://www.myblackforestbears.com/

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Thank you, Rita.  (Enquiring minds want to know.) :D

I just now visited your site and just love your bears.  I like how you  have so many that are totally different from one another.  I'm most in love with your little "HARRY" cub that you showed to us a few days ago.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Rita, I just got my Teddy Bear and Friends magazine and in it is an article on making noses....a polymer one too.

They used a glass eye with a premade loop. Build the polymer clay surrounding the glass  eye, leaving the wire loop free on the backside.When done t he back side needs to be flat. This is great as I have a few eyes that are marred , they came to me that way...so don't throw away any eyes that are not perfect ! Use them for  clay noses.

The glass eye can take the heat as you need to bake the nose in your home oven. Time varies with each kind of polymer clay , for every 1/4" of clay its a certain amount of time, read your package to find out how long.

I have not tried this yet but I can see it will work ...you install it just like you do for a glass eye. I would get it into position then put some glue behind the nose before you pull it down tight,,,this should keep the nose from twirling around on the face...we don't want any up side down  noses...he, he...Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Good one, Winney!!  Thanks for the glue tip, too.  We wouldn't want to get our noses out of Joint!!  bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

When I use to make fimo clay beads, I found it easier to use a toaster oven.... which reminds me of a story that my sibilings call teh "Black Fimo Toaster Oven" - someone had the "toast" button down when I put my fimo beads in and let's just say that the oven needed to be replaced and there was not salvaging my beads!!!! bear_grin:lol::lol:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

UGH!!  bear_ermm bear_shocked

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Winney, I saw that issue too -- but may I politely correct you and offer that it was Teddy Bear Review, not TB&F? bear_happy -- and thought that the idea of using a glass eye as the "base" for a polymer clay nose was absolutely brilliant and ingenious.  One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?!?" kinds of things. 

If I ever returned to doing clay noses (that's where I started), I'd go straight to this concept.

White City, Oregon

Oh yes...and I picked up another tip somewhere about how to hold that clay nose up off the baking tray ;

Buy some of those big  metal office clips , NOT paper clips ...they come in different sizes . Somebody help me out here with the proper name or a photo. Anyway...it will clamp down on that small eye wire loop nicely while baking on a cookie sheet .  Let it cool before removing from the clip.

Thank's Shelli for clarifying the right source for the clay nose.... Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I believe you are referring to a "binder clip" they come in sizes from mini to large

White City, Oregon

Yeahhhh ! We have a name now...thank's Kim...Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Sure Winney - Along with my other duties at the lawfirm - I order office supplies too!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
Another way to keep the nose off the tray is to put a long doll needle through the loop and rest the ends of the needle on two glass pyrex fruit nappies or simliar items that are oven proof. Works for me!!!!
Hugs
Gail

White City, Oregon

Great idea Loonie..what are nappies? I thought nappies were diapers ....LOL.....Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Possibly you could rest the noses on a piece of quilt batting while they bake.  That is what Earline taught us to do with face masks.  I don't know if Fimo bakes at the same temp as Cernit.... 250*F?  The toaster oven is great for these small projects, and they don't have to be awfully small, at that.

Largo,Florida

Hi Shelli,

I bought the Teddy Bear Review today and cannot find any artikel on the polymer Eye making.
Please tell me which Issue it is.
The one I bought today is the June Issue, is this an old one??
South Carolina is usually ALWAYS behind with their deliverys.

Rita

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Rita.  Actually, it's not the June issue; that's the problem.  Although that might still be the "current" issue on the newsstands, the issue that subscribers are quoting is the AUGUST issue.  It might not yet be available to the general public for purchase at their local bookstore.

The piece on noses is called "NOSING AHEAD" and is on pages 56 - 58.  It doesn't just cover polymer clay noses, but there is a particularly eye-catching illustration of how one might use a glass eye as the "base" for a polymer clay nose.  That's what Winney first mentioned.

Interestingly, I just noticed that our own Christine Pike -- a Help Advisor here, and a well-known bear artist for many years now -- authored this article!!!

Largo,Florida

Thanks Shelli,

Since you are so nice and have experience with Awards, would you tell me how to go about it?
I know the Bear magazines have them once a Year but it is already over and done with for this Year.
Here in South Carolina are no Shows at all and I have my Store and cannot drive away for a few days.

Rita

Board footer