Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi All  bear_original ,
             I have just finished a black and grey bear he has whites at the top of his eyes so he looks like he is looking at his nose soooooo he is just crying out for a bee on the end if it.
I have decided to needlefelt a bee, yellow with black strips and a black face with white wings.
I am new to needlefelting and I have done a practice bee but I have a question:

How do I stop the black and yellow felts from "bleeding"
into each other????? You know what I mean, I can see the black fibers on top of the yellow, I like things to look clean, or am I being to fussy?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Separate them as much as you can with the needle, and felt them into their own side,  trim off some with scissors, and then if it is a real sharp line you want I would use either a Copic or Prismacolor marker.

Joanne

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

If I were to do a bee..I might try making a complete yellow body...then taking wisps of black.. wrapping it around the body.. for each stripe and needling in each one carefully.  ..picking up each hair really where it ends to make a sharp delineation  along each side of each black piece to get a good stripe.  It is time consuming..but, worth the effort.....

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I agree with Veronica, especially as a beginner. It's far easier (to control the color-bleeding you described) to make a complete body of one color and add the sections of the other color as stripes.

1336140624_bumblebee422.jpg

Your choice of fiber (sheep breed) also has a lot to do with the amount of wildness in the hairs you need to bring under control. Some are more prone to being hairy and sticking straight out, while others have more natural built-in crimp or curl and will be easier to bring under control this way.

Learning about the many different breed's fibers available and their inherent qualities so you can choose which ones to match and use for each project is a battle half won!

Board footer