Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

HeidiBears florida

Hey there Teddy-Talkers! I think it really takes a certain person and a lot of skill to be able to make a bear; I mean all those tiny stitches, hours spent perfecting that nose, sewing those ears at just the right angle, and creating that charming smile! So what I was wondering is have any of you put your fine-tuned attention to detail and tried to create something using a different medium? I’ve noticed that many people pose their bears with handmade props like trees or delicious looking desserts! Today I put the sewing aside for a bit and tried wood burning! The two arts are totally opposite but it definitely was fun for a change, I also found that I love to use clay! What things have you made recently? Let’s see your masterpieces!
1341795721_small_hawk.jpg
1341795755_small_tiger.png

Hugs! - Heidi

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Heidi,
what a wonderful thread! I think it is true, most of us must have tired other mediums. I for instance have always loved crafting things, and tried plenty of things over the years. I have worked with papier mache', painted T-shirts, done decoupage, worked with clay and mosaic, and cross stitched like crazy....and many other things along the way. Most things are not in my possession anymore, because they almost always became a present for somebody. Some things are still with me, unfortunately I have no way of making pictures because I'm away from home at present... bear_sad

I'd love to see other people's creations!

And your creations are just incredible Heidi, you really have great talent! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Wow Heidi,
Your art skills will never cease to amaze me.  I know you are going to become a veterinarian, but I hope you will always keep your art skills honed. 

I am very interested in all kinds of dimensional art and craft, and have through the years experimented with many techniques and materials.  One of my favorite is and always has been paper mache.  This is a tree house that I made for my dolls out of a cardboard box covered with paper mache. The other side is open and I am in the process of decorating with objects from the garden.
1341841536_535827_3178982395226_780205729_n_375x500.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love glass beads, and I used to make a lot of jewelry - earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. I was fascinated by the colors and shapes of the beads and the patterns that became possible in combination.

I only occasionally make something with beads now, and teddy bears seldom want to wear jewelry, but this girl seemed to call out for a simple 50's-style necklace. I made it on memory wire, so it's open in the back and easy to slip on and off. (Her owner might even be able to wear it herself as a bracelet.)

Becky
1341857574_p1030615tt.jpg

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Heidi, you never cease to amaze me!!
- Today I put the sewing aside for a bit and tried wood burning!
TRIED wood burning? Do you mean that have just started this technique recently too, as you have bear-making? Or did you go back to it as a change from sewing for a bit?
My gosh gurl! You're not even 20 yet - you're exactly the type of person who is gong to pull and push this art form (and many others) right on through the 21st century. You've got gumption and Natural TALENTS!
Congrats.. and I love both of these!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heidi, you are one talented young lady!  That eagle is terrific and the tiger is fantastic.  Love those beads, Becky!  And Joanne . . . those little dollies and their treehouse are very awesome.  I'm so impressed by all you girls!  My butterfly photography and these paintings aren't recent, but I did a lot of it in years past.  Right now I'm loving fooling around with altered art and scrapbook-y stuff.  The steampunk doll is very recent and my first attempt with using paper clay.  The design is from Paula Nerhus.

1341867534_contemplation.jpg  1341867600_peekaboo_raccoon.jpg1341867623_black_swallowtail.jpg1341867644_gulf_fritillary.jpg1341867767_doll2.jpg

EEK!  I certainly didn't intend to take up all this room with my photos.  Thought I was making them pretty small.   bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Bloomsburg, PA

Wow! Wow! Everyone's artistic skills!  Becky  I love that you have incorporated your love of beading into your bears.  Those beads look beautiful around her neck.

And SueAnn! You are a very accomplished artist and photographer.  I had no idea.  I am very impressed with both.  The steam punk doll, another thing I really love, you are so very creative.

HeidiBears florida

Thanks everyone!! Wow Joanne your tree looks so real and magical!!! I can't believe that it was once a cardboard box  :o

And I love Becky's bear necklace too, it is so simple yet very eloquent! It fits her beautifully.  :love:

SueAnn your paintings are just breath taking!! Where did you learn all of that!? I also want to know how you were able to sneak up on those butterflies!  :lol:

Everything looks incredible! It is so fun to see all the different things everyone comes up with!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh my, I think I've tried most things over the years!  I guess photography for the past few years (though I need to update my website), sewing quilts, clothes and bags in the last year, and previously I've done scrapbooking, glass painting, jewellery making, silver smithing, fimo modelling, clay modelling, painting, drawing...  Here's a few things from the past 6 months

1341940946_img_5931.jpg  1341940984_img_6019.jpg

1341941110_img_6304.jpg  1341941539_img_6122.jpg

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Every one is very talented and I really like seeing what you all do other than bears! You are all so versatile and, although it may not seem like it to the artist, very good at what you've done! When I need a mental break from sewing, I like to paint.  Not real good at it, but it is a lot of fun and relaxing.  I also like to sew painted muslin dolls.

1341941706_img_5804.jpg    1341941729_img_9232.jpg

1341941752_maker3.jpg    1341941773_img_6351.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, my goodness! Beautiful work, everyone, and Heidi - I'm loving this thread! bear_flower

Becky

Bloomsburg, PA

]Katy I always love seeing your beautifully sewn items, especially the purses and bags.  You have a gift for picking just the right fabric.

Thelma your painting is beautiful, and so are the dolls.  The first time I ever spotted you on ebay it was with the granny in the chair.  I went back and looked at her many times. I realized then how close you lived.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Wow, you are all so talented!  :teddybear:

When I read a bear artist's profile in one of the teddy bear magazines, it usually starts with the words: "...I have always been a creative person..."; now I know for sure that's the truth! bear_thumb

Glasgow

I love seeing the creative diversity amongst our beary folk, keep it coming  bear_original

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I too have enjoyed many crafts through out my life.  I love painting things, like from wood, I also paint clothespins, make fabric hearts, do tin punch, and yes even wood burning.  I sell it at craft shows, but it is not very profitable any more so I tried with the bears.  But working full time has made it difficult to make the bears or any craft.  But I still love to do it.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I like to play around with leather.  these are a couple of my all-leather constructs

1342059901_snowy_egret_amp_chick_4_sm.jpg
'snowy egret & chick'

1342059954_duck_soup_2_1_sm.jpg
'duck soup - a 2nd serving'

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Wow, incredible talents everyone has. I have just started to make a scrap book photo album of my bears to take to the bear fairs, scrap booking is very absorbing and relaxing when your fingers are sore from sewing!  :lol:

Loving the leather Kelly!  :lol:

Hugs

lisa x

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just absolutely incredible, everybody!  All of you are awesomely multi-talented and it's so much fun to see those other talents.  Thanks again, Heidi, for starting this thread.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Kelly, no one can top your leather work, for its actual replication of the 'real thing'! I've always been in awe as you continue to push your skill set into new territory.
hugs -

Glasgow

Play a little with leather Kelly?  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh   Wish I could play so well  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I love to see what other talents our bear artists have at their fingertips - there really is so much hidden talent here on the Guild!

Bears take up most of my time, but I have also been known to make cloth dolls in my 'spare' time (!) ...

1351765374_octaviaorangewitch.jpg
Octavia Orangewitch

1351765424_valentina450.jpg
Valentina

The occasional softie owl ...

1351765492_pinkowl.jpg
Twink the Pink

... and am often to be found with my knitting needles clacking on a cosy evening ...

1351765621_scarf4.jpg

Oh, and I love to go out walking and take photographs too!

1351765831_img_0148_1.jpg
Leeds Castle, Maidstone, Kent.

Miser Miser Bears

Im not sure it counts as a craft, but I love to take photographs of landscapes.

1351768735_borthy.jpg1351768786_snowdoniapic.jpg1351768917_snowjpg.jpg1351768973_mountains_road.jpg

Bloomsburg, PA

Miser, your photographs are beautiful.  I can see you are very good at finding just the right light.

Paula,  you are extremely multi-talented.  I love the dolls and the knitting and the new little owls that I have seen you make.  You too have captured the light beautifully in all the photos.  Your photos are always good.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Thank you Joanne!  I found that as the bears became more of a business and less of a hobby, it became important to allow myself time to play still! bear_tongue

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I dabble in Stained Glass (though most of the work I've done is for my own house) and I do leather/brasswork collars for teddies....I should really do a post about that sometime.

Board footer