Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

PaeoniaDrop Posts: 48
Website

I have seen some amazing airbrushing work here, but I was wondering is there another way to approach animal markings. I'm looking to make a red panda and I have thought it out for the most part. The tail however has 12 rings which alternate in color. I think on a sparse mohair, to sew together 12 pieces, the seams would be too apparent. I thought about painting on dyes as well, but I have no guarantee there won't be any bleeding.

Complex patterns like cat markings are also eluding me (other than to needle felt the entire face). I know something like zebra or giraffe print can be purchased.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach this?

Thank you!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I have done the striped tail of my racoon using pastel shading. To make the stripes clear and neat I put paper tape (the one that you also use when painting the walls to protect things you don't want paint on). Starting from the tip of the tail towards the body. One ring of shading with the clear ring beside covered with tape, and so on. At the end you can blend a bit better if some areas look too defined. I hope I make sense to you.
Here is a picture of the result. You could do it also with oils.
1344577838_soot_tt5.jpg

PaeoniaDrop Posts: 48
Website
Francesca wrote:

I have done the striped tail of my racoon using pastel shading. To make the stripes clear and neat I put paper tape (the one that you also use when painting the walls to protect things you don't want paint on). Starting from the tip of the tail towards the body. One ring of shading with the clear ring beside covered with tape, and so on. At the end you can blend a bit better if some areas look too defined. I hope I make sense to you.
Here is a picture of the result. You could do it also with oils.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/img/members/3 … ot_tt5.jpg

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried this with pastels and it didn't work too well with my sparse mohair. I had more pastel sticking to the backing than the mohair. I'll try again with oil.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Yes, I think oils might work better with sparse mohair. I'm also using oils lately and they really work well.

Board footer