Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Jenny,

I have just heard that the BBAAs were announced in Brighton.  I want to know how you did!!   Did you win??

When you have a spare moment, drop us a line to let us know!

Danni

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Nah!! I didn't do any good at all..which was why I said in the other thread that it would be useful to know what I could have done to improve...

Feedback from the judges would be really useful in these situations.

The whole thing was a bit of a farce in the end ..we went down to Brighton at the crack of dawn...and displayed the bears and were told to be back for 3.00pm for the awards 'ceremony'...we went Christmas shopping in Brighton as I wasn't showing there that day and got back at 2.00pm to find they'd already announced the results!!! Nice!!

A good few people missed it!

The fair was a bit of a disaster too by all accounts....very slow.

It won't stop me entering though...but on reflection I think my bears just didn't have enough 'stuff' with them compared with the others that seemed to be more accessorised...but I do like 'simple' so to be true to myself I have to go that route.

I don't think I'm a natural when it comes to bear competitions...maybe I haven't the 'knack'...

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
jenny wrote:

I do like 'simple' so to be true to myself I have to go that route.

I don't think I'm a natural when it comes to bear competitions...maybe I haven't the 'knack'...

Good for you...you should be true to yourself and to those who, like me, adore your bears.  As far as not having the 'knack'....rubbish...simple as that.  Keep putting your little cubs in and they will get noticed.

Shantell

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Jenny, there's nothing wrong with your bears.. I have heard there's all political things going on with that competition, so I wouldn't be hard on yourself.

Sorry to hear you didn't do well, but don't be down on yourself...  your bears are amazing.

Danni

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Jenny

sorry you didn't win...I know how awards can add that impact factor but I truly believe your bears are so unique that they speak for themselves.  Who could resist one of those cute little faces.

Shame that the show was so slow...at least you weren't trading.

oh and I love your avatar bears by the way!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely, Jenny, your bears are amazing, and your collectors surely know it, since they're scooped up like crazy the minute they hit a "for sale" arena.  As I said in another thread, there's no telling how/why certain bears get nominated, or come home winners... and others don't. 

Last year I was so blessed and grateful to get a nomination for my skunk CHAUNCEY, but my mentor and inspiration, Michelle Lamb (do you think I drop her name enough?; she's such a lovely woman, it's friendship talking more than braggadocio) didn't get a nomination for her absolutely incredible, darling, superbly detailed, masterful bunny, in that same category.  Go figure. 

It doesn't make me less grateful for the nomination; as I said, I'm still giddy over it.  But it does make me realize that it's not about "having the knack" or not.  Michelle, of all people, showcases her "knack" in every critter she makes.  If she can't garner a nomination, each and every time, for each and every piece... well, that's just an indication that there's a lot that goes into these things, that we don't know or understand... but also, which doesn't have to do with skill, talent, workmanship, originality, style, the "it" factor, name brand recognition, or collector appeal.

I'm not suggesting the nomination/win process is corrupted or political -- but hey, maybe it is!  What do I know.

Rather, I'm suggesting that maybe it's the case that one year there's a collection of judges who coincidentally favor traditional looking bears.  Maybe the next year they're looking for fresh, unknown, styling.  Maybe at some point the judges recognize too many familiar artist stylings and choose something ELSE just to end up with a nominee/winner list that is NOT a repeat of the last years.  And so on.

You just can't take it deeply to heart, Jenny.  Because, certainly in your case, it's not about how great and appealing and adorable and original and uniquely "yours" your bears are.  Really.

PS  Please remind me I said this stuff, about not taking this stuff to heart, when/if I come home empty handed this year ont he contest front.  I don't have but on entry ready at this point (compare to four last year) and it's for the large/dressed category (a particular competitive category), but my bear isn't particularly "dressed", even though the costuming for it almost killed me, it took so long to research and make.  So I'm not sure it makes the best contender... but I'm gonna try anyway!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I have had the experience of a competition, not bears, but in another way. Its was to do with my slimming club job. All I'm going to say on the matter was I would not have chosen some of the finalists! As in a lot of things its got 'politics' written all over it. It sometimes depends what they are looking for that year and like lots of things never quite seem fair. There thats my grumble over. You know what we think of your bears, the proof is in the selling I say! You win hands down for that!  :clap:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Jenny, Jenny, Jenny,  :hug:

If I found myself in the same room with your bears, I'd max out the credit cards and take them all home! The Hubs would divorce me, the dogs would avoid me, the kids would have me committed, but I'd still have the bears!

Judging committees in any field are still committees. Even at their best, they work by trade-offs and compromises and well-this-is-what-we-did-last-year and maybe-this-year-we-should and who knows what other considerations that have nothing much to do with bears. It might be politics, but it's certainly human/committee nature.

Eileen

Pipa UK

Jenny i can't belive none of your bears won anything they are AMAZING..  Wow. the competition must be tough in those awards !!!!!!!!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Jenny I suppose in life you win some and you loose some. I have been both a winner and a looser. I have also judged and it is not easy.The only thing is to not give up.  I do think that it is important thou to get a crit on your work,that is the only reason why I enter, as that is the way I improve.Although with saying that I have had reports back where two judges have favoured my bears giving high marks and the 3rd judge has given a very low mark and I have found that rather odd, maybe she was PMS on the day.

Just do not give up, bear_flower
Lynette

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You know Lynette, It would be so useful to have that feedback, don't get me wrong I'm not doing a sour grapes thing...you know if you enter something you have more chance of losing than of winning so it should be no surprise. But when I used to enter hairdressing competitions the judging panel were introduced to the contestants after the judging, sometimes you'd get a report card with ticked boxes and marks out of 10..and other times you could talk to the judges about what they though you could improve on. I think I am a better hairdresser because of that constructive criticism.

It's not so that you can spout out a load of rantings at the judges , but surely , to stop the accusations of 'politics' and I am making none here, it would be good to have a very visible judging system  so you know why you didn't win. Goodness it costs enough to enter the things , I'm sure they could afford to give something back to the nominees. I'd sooner have that than a cheap certificate I never look at.

I know what Shelli means about all those factors, the appeal of the moment...whatever is in favour on the day.

I won't take it to heart because if I do I won't enter anything else and I certainly intend to keep trying....if at first you don't succeed........

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

jenny wrote:

....... sometimes you'd get a report card with ticked boxes and marks out of 10..and other times you could talk to the judges about what they though you could improve on. I think I am a better hairdresser because of that constructive criticism.

Jenny I agree wholeheartedly!  I am also in the tropical fish hobby - specializing in the cichlid family... and we have national conventions where we have fish shows.  Yup, just like a dog show but with fish.  Talk about a lot of set up for the home club  bear_wacko   

Anyways... one of the catagories is fish photography.  I went to MN when the national ACA convention was there and was thrilled and flabergasted when I won first place!  The next year the convention was in TX, and I did not place at all.  I did NOT mind that I did not place... but what I DID mind was that the first place photo was NOT even in FOCUS!!  It won because it was a rare fish.... or the photo was a breeding photo... but it was NOT based on the photographic integrity.  (IMO)

Anyways... our Chicago club hosts an annual regional convention also... and after that time in TX I took up responsibility of being in charge of judging the photos in our own show.  The actual FISH get judged on a point system like your hair styling competitions... but the photos were not.  Someone just "picked" one they liked best.

When I took over, I started using a point system based on focus, exposure, composision etc and gave points.  And yes, some people DID ask why the scored low on some entries and I was able to show them WHY.  And then next time they took photos... they could improve.

I don't think this is possible at ALL for the Golden Teddy or TOBY's based on the huge number of entries they receive... but for local competions it would be a great idea... JMO  bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
jenny wrote:

....... sometimes you'd get a report card with ticked boxes and marks out of 10..and other times you could talk to the judges about what they though you could improve on.

Oh I think that WOULD be wonderful... now if that were the case, I'd certainly pay my $ and enter, just to hear what people thought, good or bad, and winning or not winning would just be an after thought for me!  I'd love for someone to honestly tell me what was great, what was not so great.

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh yes, Jenny . . . your bears are exquisite and wonderfully unique, so don't let not getting an award discourage you in any way.  Who knows what the judges were looking for?  In any case, the fact that you have NO trouble selling your outstanding creations says that you are a very successful bear artist!!  :hug:   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well Jenny, were any of us your judges I do believe things would have gone differently.  On the other hand I also think if you keep up what you are doing and keep entering the pendulum will swing in your favor. 

There is nothing wrong with your cubbikins...they are adorable and I agree with Eileen, were I alone in a room with your babies.....hmmmmmm 
WELL  I would bring out the card.....and I'm the one with this hard fast rule that it is only for life and limb emergencies....welll, teddies have life and limbs , yep they slip in under the wire!

dilu

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Aw, Jenny, I'm sorry you didn't win. bear_cry

I'm totally in awe of your bears. They are excellent and utterly adorable so don't be discouraged! Keep entering those competitions! New competition, new day, new judges, new outcome!

jenny wrote:

...but I do like 'simple' so to be true to myself I have to go that route

You can't go wrong by being true to yourself and your own vision!

bear_original beary hugs,

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Jenny, I adore your bears so much !!!! 
I just notice your white bear in Avatar now ! The bear is die for !  bear_wub   

Hugs/Marie

Board footer