Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

LesleyJane Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I'm still relatively new to making bears, but am slowly learning and picking things up as I go along.
I wanted to try to give some of my bears a moustache (I'm not sure if that's the right thing to call it!) I've attached a picture here, as an example, so that you can see what I mean...
1351428106_moustache.jpg
...but as a beginner, I'm not too sure how to create this look.
Is the fur just cut and brushed to sit that way, or is there a special way to do it that involves a bit more?
It looks so cute, I'd love to be able to give it a try!

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Love Lesley xx

BatFinchBears BatFinch Bears

for me looking at that picture it looks like he was made using a very long pile fur, and then just had his fur trimmed in the right places to give him a moustache!

I found trimming fur a bit challenging when I first started - because you obviously can't glue it back one once it's been cut! But best way to learn is to just try it bear_original

My advice would be to trim VERY small amounts at a time, then you can't make any big mistakes!

Hope that helped a little  bear_grin

Thank you Emily, thst does help indeed - I'll give it a try!
I'm having trouble finding long, funky fur to use as I'm in the UK and all the suppliers seem to be overseas, but I'll have a google about and see what I can find.
Thank you so much for your help!
Lxx

Miser Miser Bears

For long and funky fur in the UK, I use Mohair and bear making supplies. Their range is really good in both faux fur and mohair

https://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co … le-fabrics

BatFinchBears BatFinch Bears

I don't think I've ever found any good fur in a normal craft shop here in the UK. I've always ordered my fur off the internet, or bought it at bear fairs/shows/events (then you're seriously spoilt for choice though!) there's a few I buy from, bearbasics.co.uk, sewwhatandstuffit.co.uk being the main two online.

You probably don't need the fur to be as long as the one in the picture to still achieve a "moustache" look. Long fur can get expensive bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That looks like a Michelle Nunnery bear, perhaps? Her bears are quite small, so you wouldn't need the longest fur or very much of it to make something similar.

It also looks like faux fur, which is usually very dense and good for trimming into shapes.

Becky

Ooh, thank you so much for all the tips and the websites - I shall enjoy having a rummage through them!
Yes, it is a Michelle Nunnery bear...aren't they amazing. Aaah, she's my idol, hehe!
Thank you once again, so much for your help xx

Board footer