Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

Has anyone tried this and if so what is the correct ratio of PVA glue to water.  Have heard that if you paint a mixture of this onto small mini cut-out pieces  then it will strengthen the fabric and  prevent stretch at the same time.

many thanks

teeeej Brisbane

I have heard of a 50/50 mixture used as a fray stopper. Heres a good topic http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=4799

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

thanks so much .  Will try that out today.  Believe it or not I've done it before, ages ago, and now cant remember what ratio i used. Another senior moment!!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well I discovered ....from a tip that I got from Kelly Dean....that the Super Sulky water soluble fabric stabiliser that is used for quilting and machine embroidery, when dissolved in warm water and then painted onto knitted fabrics makes the best stabiliser I have used so far. It leaves literally no stretch when dry and it's a great way to prepare the fabric.
Stops fraying too.
I take no credit for that I'd never have thought of it so all thanks go to Kelly for his innovation!

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

most innovative method i've yet heard. Thanks so much for that.  Not sure what the S African equivalent of Super Sulky would be, but i'll explore the options.  Many thanks for sharing.

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

in the meanwhile i've been experimenting with Pva glue : water ratios. and the best results are  1 part PVA glue to 3 parts water.  Mix in small container and then leave with lid on.  Restir and paint onto knitback fabrics when you need or on any areas requiring a bit more strength

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

How interesting! I have a piece of knit type plush I've been wanting to use for a bear for some time now... just never could figure out how I wanted to strengthen it. I was going to line each piece with fabric.... now I'm going to try painting it with that water soluble stabilizer... Thanks for the tip!  bear_thumb

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi ,Vicki..you can line it. I use fusible cotton interface. It works!You just iron it on...the Super Sulky works great too though!

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Thanks, Jenny. Oh, I got so excited about the water soluble stabilizer idea that I actually did it today bear_original  And, of course, I had to try it with more than one fabric. I'm excited to see how it works!

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Oh wow, what a good idea! I'll have to remember that to try it sometime... I tried using a fusible interfacing to make a cotton fabric work, but it still wasn't strong enough to become a dragon skin. Thanks for the tips!

Board footer