Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You have a few minutes...but if it sets before you are done you just heat it up again. You need to use almost boiling water though...it goes clear and it becomes malleable. I think you can colour it with paint...but as for painting on it ...not sure...it might not work. But you can tint it ...you would have to research that ...I have not done it myself.
But once hard you can file it and make sharp claws...and with a hot needle put a hole in the end so you can sew it in.
I think it has many potential uses.
Here is a link to a YouTube video...it seems you can stain it with powder paint....
I read you can melt it in Rit dye too...
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=u9TkpoTz … 9TkpoTzFMo

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

This stuff looks like fun.  I just bought some.  I will let you know how it works for claws.

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

I have some in the post, looks like we will all be having fun. I'm really looking forward in seeing what I can create!

warwickshire uk
Website

I have used it for nose templates ....eyelids....teeth....in fact it's a great product with many uses!
The good bit is  that you can just keep melting it again if you go wrong.

Devon
Website

Well mine turned up today, so I shall have a play and let you know how I get on!

Devon
Website

Well it arrived, and I love it! (Polymorph) I found it brilliant to work with, very easy.
Here are some claws I made from it.
1370031522_970712_202476419904397_998673405_n.jpg

warwickshire uk
Website

Wow...fast work

Devon
Website

Jenny,I think I got slightly addicted when making them yesterday lol bear_laugh xx

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

How was the working time Helen? Did you make them the same way Joanne does? I think I will order some. Looks very interesting.

Devon
Website

Working time was a couple of minutes, but all I did was leave a pan on the stove and every time it started to harden, I just dipped it in the hot water for a couple of seconds then continued working. I have to say, I think it's great and easy to work with. I used to use Milliput; this stuff is easier.

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Ah, I know this stuff, I have some I bought from...Manchester university shop, I think.(Looks like they've changed their name, here's a link http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product … cts_id=550 )
It is Very strong, and you can reheat it and mould it again over and over. But I've never tried painting  it, I imagine it might be quite hard to take a colour. Acrylic possibly, or perhaps it's possible to mix in some colour as it's softening. Might be worth experimenting, at least on this site you can order small amounts. (Beware looking around the site, there are lots of fascinating items there, I know from experience  bear_rolleyes )

Caroline

PS Just checked, website says it can be dyed with food colouring. Might try that next.

Little Nan Posts: 233

Just looked on eBay and there's also a powder in various shades that you can use to colour it !

Website

Ok, just tried dying some polymorph with acrylic paint. Please excuse how it looks! But I only wanted to try a little piece, and make it roughly 'ready' for claw making. This is how it turned out.
1372104007_polymorph_test_1.jpg

More  paint would probably make it darker, or else mix up with a little black. Very messy to do! But it does have a nice translucency that would be good for claws, and it's still flexible of course. Might try ink next, see if that can stain it a bit less messily.

Caroline

Little Nan Posts: 233

Think it's turned out well Caroline ! It's alway worth trying stuff out to see what happens , you just never know what you can come up with til you try !  bear_thumb

Bloomsburg, PA

I hope it is ok that I am going to give a different type of review on this.  It will not work for me when using it to make claws.  It does not sand well.  One of the most important steps for me with the claws is the final manicure.  I sand them so they are all facing the right way, and even them all up.  This product does not sand well, I have tried with emery boards, which is what I usually use, I have tried with my metal files, and I have had some success with a dremel.  I am afraid though to put a dremel near a finished bear foot though.

On the plus side, it is the strongest stuff I have worked with.  The color is wonderful, and is perfect for claws. 

I am not done playing and trying with it.  But I think I will stick with epoxy.

Has anyone played around with sanding?  If so please give me some tips.

Devon
Website

Joanne I found the same it just does not sand well. I find when sculpting claws you really need to get the shape you need, but that is coming with practice for me. Dont laugh but I have used nail clippers to shape it with too, but they must be very sharp. I'll continue to play as I'm having fun!  bear_thumb

Website
desertmountainbear wrote:

I hope it is ok that I am going to give a different type of review on this.  It will not work for me when using it to make claws.  It does not sand well.  One of the most important steps for me with the claws is the final manicure.  I sand them so they are all facing the right way, and even them all up.  This product does not sand well, I have tried with emery boards, which is what I usually use, I have tried with my metal files, and I have had some success with a dremel.  I am afraid though to put a dremel near a finished bear foot though.

On the plus side, it is the strongest stuff I have worked with.  The color is wonderful, and is perfect for claws. 

I am not done playing and trying with it.  But I think I will stick with epoxy.

Has anyone played around with sanding?  If so please give me some tips.

Hi
I haven't tried this yet, but I can imagine how it would be. Because it's a fairly soft (but strong) plastic, does it kind of leave a fluffy surface? That would be no good for claws obviously.

Bloomsburg, PA

It is not soft at all, you can not bend it, it is hard, very hard. No it does not have a fluffy surface.  It is great stuff, I just wish I knew how to file it.

warwickshire uk
Website

I don't make claws...my bears would look daft...but would one of those electric filing tools work. I have one which I used to use on acrylic nails when I did them years ago. It's similar.
They have lots of tools that fit to smooth and grind

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, that is a Dremel and they do work.  I am just afraid to take one to a finished paw.  One wrong move and it is done for.  I tried using one on a claw and it was good.  But the claw is too small to file without it being anchored somewhere, like in a paw-pad.  I might just have to suck it up and try.  I do like the stuff.

Website

Perhaps experimenting with some sort of heat rather than abrasion, seeing as it's affected by heat anyway. And by soft , I didn't really mean about it being bendy soft, but it's soft, thermoplastic, as opposed to a hard, brittle thermosetting plastic like perspex

warwickshire uk
Website

Just one thought Joanne ....would it be possible to make a mould from one of the claws you made out of epoxy resin. Using that dental stuff...then you could make as many as you want using the polymorph .....no need to sand it then.

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, I may try that Jenny.  I like the idea of adding heat too.  I wonder if they can be heated a adjusted with a heat gun once in the bear.  The problem I have is not that I need to file them down to make them the same, it is that once I add them into the bears foot they need to be refiled to sit properly, so heat may work with that.

Board footer