Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Howdy folks! I'm looking to try painting my own glass eyes for the first time and need a good tutorial on how to go about it. I checked the Library for posts that would help me, but there wasn't really anything there to help me from start to finish. I'm a visual learner, so a tutorial with a video or pictures would be ideal. Let me know if there's anything out there, thanks!  bear_grin

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I'm also experimenting on eye painting, and was considering the other day that I might as well do a visual of my experiments on the blog...I'm no expert at all, but I would be happy to share my 'findings' as I go. I will let you know when I have done it!  bear_original

Ottawa, Ontario
dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Here's one tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d3YfHgjCQc

Emma's bears did some others, so you could contact her as well.

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

When you say starburst eyes...do you mean the ones with glitter ?
If so you know you can add a bit of glitter to nail polish and just paint the eye with that. I just use a needle to scratch the back after the polish is dry then paint it black all over the back ..that makes it look realistic
I thought Paula Carter had posted photos on here of how to do it.....

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

That is exactly how I did mine. I must say it is quite easy, and it looks good, it adds depth to the eye, and it is more realistic. The video tutorial is good, very well explained.  bear_original

Ottawa, Ontario

I watched the tutorial Becky posted, and it doesn't say anything about adding black polish to the back after your done, but I'll try that when I go to do it. So far, from what I understand, the technique is as follows:

1) Paint back of clear glass eye with glitter nail polish, let dry;
2) Paint darker shade of nail polish colour (brown, green, blue, etc), let dry a bit, but not completely;
3) Take a pin and scrape lines from the pupil out, all around the eye;
4) Paint lighter shade of nail polish, let dry a bit, then repeat last step;
5) Take black nail polish and paint over everything

That about sums up what I've taken in so far, does that sound right to you ladies? I want to make sure I'm not missing any steps, I don't want to muck anything up. The upside though, if I do end up mucking it up, I have a good supply of nail polish remover at home!  bear_tongue  If I nail down the technique, I may just make a step-by-step photo guide on how to do it for the Library section.  bear_thumb

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

The first time I tried it, I was eager to do the 'starbust' thing but had no transparent eyes yet. What I did is;
take a pair of blue glass eyes
paint them with glittery gold nail polish
let it dry
scratch it with a pin (like in the video)
paint with black nail polish.

The glittery gold gave depth and spark to the blue, the black under the scratched parts gave a realistic touch to the eye. bear_thumb
I have to buy more nail polish in many colours and try on my new clear glass eyes.
It's fun!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

In the library, this topic has been discussed.  It is not a tutorial but just an explanation of how to paint the eyes.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=351
Donna

Ottawa, Ontario

Francesca, I own over 100 colours of nail polish, prettymuch the entire rainbow, and then some  bear_tongue I've a bit of a nail polish addiction, hehe. I should remember to take picutres of my nails when I paint them and show them off, I do a lot of neat things to them. I don't do much nail art these days as my nails have become brittle and break all the time due to the pills I take for my auto immune disease, blah  bear_noexpression I find nail strengtheners and things like that help a bit, but they still tend to rip and break with the slightest provocation. Good thing I have about a million other hobbies and addictions to focus on, eh?  bear_grin  bear_tongue

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

That is interesting. To me, nail polish is something from another world. Meaning that my nails are short, chipped and definitely NOT glamorous. I better stick with trying to make EYES glamorous...my nails are beyond help!  bear_original

Board footer