Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

a math problem?

When I draw a pattern of a bear leg, is the sole of the foot so measuring less than the bottom of the leg goal x2 ?

I hope you understand what I mean  bear_happy  bear_happy

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi Lisa
I'm not absolutely sure exactly what you are asking.  I draw out the leg pattern.  I take the measurement across the bottom and double it.  I then take a piece of string that length, position it in the shape of foot I want on a piece of paper, taping the two ends of string together, and draw around the string and cut it out.
Regards
Sue

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I do very similar.

Double the length of the bottom of the foot and if its a small bear I add 1/8" to this length for seam allowance. Bigger bears I add 1/4" for the seam allowance.

Hope this makes sense!

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

thanks Mo Beary, but when I just double the length of the bottom of the foot, its really big enough, often to big I think  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I understand, Lisa - I often make a foot pad that is bigger than I want, so I reduce the size.

With foot pads, I think it depends a lot on your sewing technique. With a larger pad, you can "ease" it into the leg fabric opening and get a foot that puffs out. With a smaller pad, you can ease the leg fabric to fit the pad and get a flatter, tighter foot. (I've made feet in both ways. The important thing is to sew the pad in place where you want it, and ease the fabric evenly, so that the pad doesn't change position as you sew.)

Becky

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

Oh Becky, I think I understand that, I'll make them a little smaller I think bear_original  thanks  ...

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I seem to do it the opposite to everyone else:) I draw the footpad first, then measure the foot/leg from there:) I find it easier to get the look I want that way.

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen
karenaus wrote:

I seem to do it the opposite to everyone else:) I draw the footpad first, then measure the foot/leg from there:) I find it easier to get the look I want that way.

it's really a different way to do it, but if it works for you then its perfect.   bear_thumb

teeeej Brisbane

When you draw your leg patterns is the seam allowance included? I always draw mine with it included so when I measure up for the footpad I remove a little bit for the seam allowance (make sure you include both seam allowances if you have a two piece leg or just one for a 1 piece leg). This may be why your footpads are a touch bigger then you need.

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen
teeeej wrote:

When you draw your leg patterns is the seam allowance included? I always draw mine with it included so when I measure up for the footpad I remove a little bit for the seam allowance (make sure you include both seam allowances if you have a two piece leg or just one for a 1 piece leg). This may be why your footpads are a touch bigger then you need.

Oh yes,  I draw it with seam allowance included - so now I know how it gets a bit roomy, thank you.    bear_laugh

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I NEVER draw a seam allowance on my designs.  That way, when I increase or decrease the size of the pattern on my photocopier, I don't need to worry about the seam allowance being increased or decreased at the same time.

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen
suejennings wrote:

I NEVER draw a seam allowance on my designs.  That way, when I increase or decrease the size of the pattern on my photocopier, I don't need to worry about the seam allowance being increased or decreased at the same time.

Its the original pattern, its not scaled up or down  bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I double the length of the foot and use a thin wire to create the shape of the paw pad. I found using wire help keep the shape when tracing the pattern. Once traced, I put in a seam allowance.

"One&Only"Bears "One&Only" Bears
Colorado
Website
Michelle Helen wrote:

I double the length of the foot and use a thin wire to create the shape of the paw pad. I found using wire help keep the shape when tracing the pattern. Once traced, I put in a seam allowance.

The above sounds really effective especially when you want a variety of paw pad shapes, such as perfect oval or wider and squared off top for multiple toes. I always add a generous seam allowance because you can always keep trimming paw pad as you baste into position and make it smaller. If I want super puffy pulled toes (depending on material) then I keep it larger to compensate for being pulled in, but if I want the fur to roll around than I make it a touch smaller and ease it in when sewing.

Board footer