Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

I've been pondering this question for a while and would love to get some discussion going on other people's opinions.
What makes a plushie (or plush toy/bear) different to a doll?

I have seen creations that have no joints, are stuffed loosely, and are very floppy and cuddly. They seem like obvious 'plushies'.
Then there are teddy bears (and other animals) which have joints to let them move and be posed. Still very cuddly but not floppy or squish-able.
But some bears also have armature which make them even more articulate and pose-able. Very adorable! But are they moving into 'artist doll' territory?
And there are even some creations that will have stuffed fabric bodies but sculptured clay faces and hands/paws (sometimes with armature and sometimes without) and the creators call them dolls.

What's your opinions? I don't think there's any right or wrong answer but I'm curious about what the popular opinion is. And also how it will help me describe my own creations more accurately.

Elli Posts: 102

I wondered about that too! Maybe the difference is easier to understand for native English speakers?
For me, a plushie is made of textile and like you described - floppy and cuddly, more or less a toy.
A doll can be made of any kind of material but for me it sounds like something anthropoid, not a real animal.
I refer to my own creations as stuffed animal (sounds more dignified than plushie :lol:) or soft sculpture, since they are mainly made of fabric, but poseable with many details and not cuddly.

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Soft sculptures sounds very appropriate. Especially with the amount of work and time that goes in them. Just like a piece of art!

Board footer