Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Miser Miser Bears

Hello peeps!

I have been selling my bears online for a bout a year now, and I wanted to try selling at a bear fair. I have so many questions please could you help!

Whats the minimum amount of bears I should bring (table is 6ft)
Do I need a debit card machine thingy?
Do I need a big sign with my shop name on?
How much change (£) will I need?
Any tips for decorating the stall?
Where can i get nice carrier bags

Thanks for any advice you can give bear_thumb

Fleur Teddy Bear Fings
Bingham, Nottingham

I can give you a little help, done one table here in UK and several om SA.

I took along all my teddies, had about 23 displayed about 10 - 15 of them. The others i put under my table and brought them out as i sold a few.
I dont have a debit card machine thingy either but took along float of about 40 pounds which was more than enough.
Decorating, i take along boxes of different sizes and place them on the table, then the teddies stand out and people can see them.
Carrier bags, i saw some brown or white paper ones at the hobby shop, but pretty expensive.  Am looking fot basic brown ones and then was going to paste my logo onto them.
I dont have big banner with my name on, but have printed flyers and some business cards with my details.

Good luck

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I am sure you will enjoy doing a bear fair it is great experience and a good opportunity to meet bear artist and collectors. I have only done two so my experience is from a newbee point of view.
How many bears really depends on the size of bear you are taking and the sort of look you want to go for. What I did was do a mock up on my kitchen table with bears that I already had (not all my own creation) so I had an idea of the minimum amount I needed to make and then later on did a mock up again so I had an idea of how to display them and for a quicker set up on the day. You will need a sheet/material to cover the top and at least 3 sides and some kind of display to give different heights. I would say 8 small/medium size is the absolute minimum but it is better to take as many as you have even if you keep them under the table to replace the ones sold.
I wouldn't bother investing in a card net machine for your first show most collectors bring cash or I think you can do a sale (make sure it as instant payment) on your smart phone if you know how to do it.  I took a cash float of £80 in £5 £10 notes.
I didn't have a sign, left it to the last push and ran out of time but wish I had. I think it is important for people to know who you are unless your bears are so well recognised that you don't need one.
Bags- plain paper bags lovely colours with handles can be bought at hobby craft or if you lucky you might find some nice bear gift bags in the pound/cheaper card shops. It is much cheaper to buy on line in bulk but it depends how many you will need. I got mine from http://www.shopfittings-ltd.co.uk/ as they did small amounts and it was easy for me to go into their shop and choose and save on postage.
The first fair I did I was very nervous and didn't have much confidence to talk to anybody but the second I enjoyed much more as I knew what to expect. I think bear fairs have to be viewed as a PR exercise as well as sales. If you can drum up promotion before the show this also helps.
Anyway good luck which one are you thinking of doing maybe I could come along and say hello  bear_original ?
michelle

Logibears Posts: 12

Hi,

I do a couple of fairs per year and I use Vistaprint for business cards - they usually have good promotions on. Everyone has a bear tale to tell and people will stop for a chat - they may not buy but they'll remember you & they'll have your card to contact you when they do want to buy. As Michelle says a lot of it is PR!!
I don't use a card machine as I don't think I do enough fairs to justify it. I will take cheques as well as cash.
When it comes to prices, I have the bears priced with a 10% leeway, if you can offer a discount to a customer who is swithering, it may well make the sale but if you also offer this to returning customers it lets them know that you appreciate them.
Good luck and remember, relax & enjoy it!

Maryanne, x

Miser Miser Bears

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I wanted to attend the Telford Bear Parade on March 30th, but suddenly I have has commission work to do so I think I will have to wait until the November show. I have 4 bears in stock at the moment, and Im not sure I have enough time to make another 10 by march!

Logibears Posts: 12

Well that's not a bad problem to have! Good luck with the commissions and am sure November will be good for you!

Maryanne, x

Board footer