Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Hello everyone! This might be a pretty simple question but I'm not too familiar with all the different sewing machine parts....
I usually use 3/8" pile fur and have a very hard time fitting it under the foot of my machine. Some people have suggested a walking foot or pogo foot but I don't really know how those work or which might be better?

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Kirstie,
I don't know what kind of sewing machine you are using that causes you this bear_sad problem. I used to have a Huskystar and my current sewing machine is a Bernina. Neither one had / has any problem transporting mohair fabrics. I mainly use the machine for bigger bears (over 50cm) which in my case are usually made of dense mohairs with >0.75 inch pile fur, so rather thick. When working with a thicker mohair / alpaca I always trim the seams (appr. 4 to 5 mm) before sewing the pieces together. This makes neater seams. But it also makes the fabric travel smoother under the foot of your sewing machine. Hope this helps  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Trim the seams and tack the pieces together

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, like Jenny said. I do pin my pieces together after trimming. The pins are perpendicular to the cut line. I find it easier for the fabric to go under the machine if the pins are under the fabric when I stitch.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Ohh whats a walking foot? I trim and pin but also try out different stich lengths and pressure settings on some scrap as the thicker furs do cause me a bit of a problem sometimes too. It might be down to your machine as I never had any problems with my old singer that I had for years ( I use to make soft toys with it when I was 15) but when it finally died and I went for a swanky new one it just doesn't have the weight. Saving up for a more basic but heavy duty one.
michelle

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think a walking foot is good for things that need to be fed under the foot more efficiently. Quilting maybe..I think people use them for velvet piles where it moves as you sew.
I used to pin but now I tack ..I just find it's better for me as in the long run it saves me time...because the pile stays where I put it and then there is less picking it out of the seams afterwards.

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Thank you for the tips everyone! Although... what's the difference between pinning and tacking, sorry?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Tacking is a way of hand-stitching the pieces together. It's temporary, so those stitches are removed one the seams are properly sewn.

Becky

Board footer