Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem I seem to be having with my bear heads. On all of them I seem to end up with a very flat back-of-the-head. I'm not sure if I'm making the gusset too wide at the back or if I'm not making the side pieces wide enough. I'm using the three-piece head style for my pattern. Does anyone have any tips where I'm going wrong? I've made a little diagram to hopefully make my description clearer.

1407771939_flat-head.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Does your side head pattern piece look more like the top drawing or the lower head?  If the pattern piece isn't pretty full at the back, the result will be a flatter head.  I've posted an example of one of my head patterns.  The gusset tapers in the back as do the side pieces to form a neck area.  Others may have different suggestions, but this is essentially what I do.  You may also make small darts in the side head pieces to make it appear fuller. 
1407777419_head_pattern001.jpg

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Here is the pattern I'm using. I deliberately extended the back of the head more with a little improvement to previous bears. But looking at your's I think my gusset might be too thick at the base.

1407813624_head2.jpg

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I make my gusset go into a point and I don't add a neck to the head sides. I just curve it in slightly . If you really want round maybe you need to think about adding some darts?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Darts is what I was going to say also. I use 4 of them in my bear heads.

Board footer