Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you, These are taxidermy eyes, the whites are there. Makes it easy. Yes, that is just what I do. I would say that yes you can do the same thing with leather cording. The hole would need to be larger to accommodate the cord.

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

Well this is certainly a learning curve bear_laugh . After pulling the cord through holes I made just by the eyes, I tried the glue method using a cocktail stick. It didn't work, it wouldn't stick to the glass of the eye, and I didn't trust that it would hold, so I sewed it in instead, and it's now safely attached. I now see why people say sew rather than glue if possible :P.

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi  Plush Puppy
My understanding is that you still need to pull them thru with thread, I think the glue is only to hold the cord in place, not the to hold the actual eye.. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought one did?

PlushPuppy Posts: 110
rikkisbears wrote:

Hi  Plush Puppy
My understanding is that you still need to pull them thru with thread, I think the glue is only to hold the cord in place, not the to hold the actual eye.. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought one did?

I'm not sure, but after trying it, I wouldn't like to rely on glue alone to hold the eye or the cord in place! It may get work on plastic eyes, but it was doing nothing for the glass ones, and as I suspected, it was extremely difficult to not get glue on the eye itself, even using a cocktail stick to apply it :P. I did thread the cord through two holes either side of the eye so that the cord is fixed into the head, but when I found it wouldn't glue in place, the only thing I could think of was to sew it in, using black thread in the most unnoticeable points so you can't actually see the thread. It seems to have worked anyway, the cord is tightly fixed on, and as an added bonus it's tightened the eye and held that in place as well.

I also experimented with putting some tippex on with a cocktail stick,and it works quite well, it's white enough on the glass, dries instantly (it was drying as I was applying it), and using another stick I could scrape off any extra or that had splashed on by mistake. I like the effect the cord gives though, so I'm going to keep practising with it!

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi Plush Puppy,
Are you definitely using the correct glue? Not sure what it is for the eyes and cording.

I use a tacky glue to stick mohair to polymer clay, I've been trying to put fur bodies onto some polymer clay monkeys I have, and it sticks quite well. I'm real messy with glue, so as you said , it's probably just a case of keep on practicing.

Board footer