Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Boz's Bears Tedwina & Friends
Shetland
Website

Is this the right place to post this?  Or would it be better in the 'latest creations' section? Let me know if it's not right and I'll re-post...

I've just finished my latest bear project (photos below).  Although I'm pretty happy with him/her (? - not sure yet, I can usually tell by now!), I always find at the end of creating them I can see things I have not got quite right.

In this one the tweed fabric on one of the paw pads is pulling strangely - I think I will have to stop using tweed, or at least make sure it is felted tighter, as the weave is too loose on this one and it's not stitched brilliantly (warp threads seem to be pulling loose from the fabric, despite my having used fray stop on it before I put them in...) - I may have to ladder stitch over that seam to make sure it stays in place bear_sad Was fine until I stuffed it, so perhaps I just stuffed too hard on that side...

I am not sure about the arms on this one either  - I think I have perhaps placed them too far back, so s/he's a bit splay chested (but then I like my bears to be a bit barrelly. 

What do folk think? I'm still very new to self designed bears (and bearmaking in general actually!) - so I'd really appreciate honest critical feedback!

This one is destined to go and live with my new niece anyway - to compliment the my first ever self designed project who went to live with her brother when he was born 18 months ago.

Apologies for poor quality pics - these are just iphone snaps from after I finished working on it - it still needs a lace collar (I think?) and perhaps something else before it is complete...

IMG_0886_zpsfe366920.jpg
IMG_0887_zps09cc1884.jpgIMG_0889_zpsadcb3e42.jpgIMG_0890_zps5253259f.jpg

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I think she is a lovely bear...using 'she' because to me she looks like a girl all right! I don't mind the arm placement at all, I actually like them placed so. I'm sure your niece will be super happy to receive such a lovely bear!

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Oh, she's one sweet teddy (I too thinks this is a she-bear).    I love the arms...looks like she's waiting for a BIG hug! bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I like her, too! bear_original With such long arms, I might move them forward a bit, and with woven fabrics like tweed for paw pads, I always line them with a peel and stick interfacing for strength and cut them out with pinking shears to help prevent fraying.

Looking forward to seeing more of your bears!

Becky

Shetland
Website

Thanks everyone!  Glad that what I see as glaring faults don't seem too obvious to everyone else! :D
What is peel and stick interfacing?  Sounds like it could be useful!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Boz's Bears wrote:

What is peel and stick interfacing?

It has a sticky surface on one side, and you peel off some paper to expose it. Here are some I know of, but brands may be different on your side of the pond: http://hancockfabrics.com/sulky-sticky- … _7c1312305 or http://hancockfabrics.com/stick-n-tear- … _7c3767324

I haven't found any other uses for it since it's a bit stiff, but it's a great help with woven-fabric paw pads.

Becky

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Yep I'm with everyone else she looks like a girl bear  bear_original We tend to be are own worse critics which in some ways is a good thing as it helps us to identify problem areas to work on. But don't forget to be proud of what you are achieving - your bear is full of character and has a lovely appealing look bear_wub Her nose is great too and good noses are notoriously difficult one to master bear_thumb
From the pics I can't see the paws pulling. Tweed is pesky stuff for frying I line line with muslim have a 1cm SA and glue .5cm of the edges together with fabric glue and once the paw is sewn in trim down and then fray check the raw edge and sometimes wizz round with a quick over base if it needs it. Or you can just use iron on interfacing but in my experience it doesn't stick too well on 'hairy' fabrics like tweed. Thanks Becky I will check out the stuff you suggested.
michelle

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You can line any fabric with fusible cotton lining which I buy at John Lewis...you just iron it on...it will cut out any fraying . You just iron it on under a damp cloth before you cut out and so you can see what you are doing as its white
Here is a link I found to another site that sells it
http://www.tailormouse.co.uk/store/Ligh … p-282.aspx
I would say the arms are a bit long for the style of bear....traditional style bears tend to have longer arms but there are no rules really. But honestly it's all trial and error....she's very neat and well made you just need to work on getting your own style. That comes with practice

Shetland
Website

Ah yes - I know the stuff!  I will see if our local haberdasher stocks it, and if not I will order some in!

I think you may be right about the arms - I like the long armed look, but this one is not quite right. My boyfriend said she looked like her wrists were broken bear_sad  - but then what does he know!

Perhaps I ought to embrace the flat headed bears as my style?  bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Haha....no...you will get a style....it just takes a while...Rome wasn't built in a day...you should see my first efforts...I wouldn't be showing them in here that's for sure!

Board footer