Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

Dear Teddy Talk Members,

I was wondering if You could help me with a question which I'm pondering on for some time now.
I'm farly new to bear making (I sew my first teddy one year ago), but I'm not new to sewing. I sew my first teddies from faux fur with knitted backing, but recently I began craving (yep, that's the word... bear_grin ) some fur with woven backing, so I managed to buy some mohair and a polyester fur with woven cotton backing. The latter I bought in a local fabric store where they sell for sewing clothing, and the store manager warned me that the fabric might shring, so it's well advised to wash it once before cutting.
I'm planning on creating teddies for smaller children, and accidents occur, so occasional washing is inevitable, than shrinking might be a problem.
My question is do You prewash Your mohair or other fur that might shrink?

I have an other issue as well:
I find that zig-zag stitching around the cut edges of softies prolongs their lifetime, and makes them endure more heavy playtime. (I don't zig-zag stitch fleece fabric or any fabric where the chance of fraying is zero.)
I refrain from using fray-check, as I have some gross memories of discoloured softies from my childhood, and that's why I try to avoid using glues, or adhereing interlining.
So my other question is: do You zig-zag stitch Your cut edges?

Thanks for Your time and answers!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello, Zsuzsi . . . I'll see if I can address some of your questions.  First, I need to know if you are making bears that will have moving joints or contain items that are generally used in "collectible" teddies, because those should never be washed in a washing machine.  If, however, your bears are made without joints and are stuffed with some kind of polyester filling - yes, they can be machine washed.  A woven backing can shrink some, so prewashing would be in order.  Mohair can be washed, but its appearance will be altered, so be aware of that.  Some synthetic furs should not be washed at all.  Since the bears I make are mostly collectibles made of mohair or alpaca, I don't prewash the fabric or zig-zag edges (I fray check).  If some of your childhood softies contained any kind of metal or odd stuffing materials, over time washing could have caused the metal to rust or the stuffing to stain.  Just an observation.  Hope this helps.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hello Sue Ann has given some good advice about the difference expected in collectables versus regular (but no less lovely) bears.
I do prewash if I am planning on dying partly for shrinkage and mainly so the colour will take better. I sometimes will wash a fabric (mohair/plush/faux fur) to soften it up or to alter the finish it really depends on what I am aiming for.
I have never zig zagged edges but if I am worried about the strength of fabrics or in areas of strain will double stitch, fray check and line the pieces with muslim. Artist bears can be stuffed very firmly and so have to withstand a lot of pushing on the seams when they are being shaped and be able to take the weight of BB/shot in their tummies. So it is really things like glass eyes, cotter pins, wood wool stuffing and the weighting that make them unadvisable for children not the fact that they are made any less robustly.
If I was making bears for children I would probably wash all fabrics first as like you said there is a high chance that the bears will end up 'needing a bath' at some point and then there would be no worries about how your fabric will react.
michelle

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

Dear Sue Ann and Michelle,

Thank You for your kind and detailed answers. I think I'm going to be creating three types of softies/teddies. For the littlest, for children above three year of age and for adults. (I dont really dare to write for collectors, beacause I think I have yet to find out how to give my bears personality.)
I was unsure of the teddies sewn for children above 3, because chewing on libs in that age is less likely, but accidents happen. But I think prewashing the fabric would be advised than. And I really want to give the opportunity for mums to wash at least by hand the teddies, so I would use safety joints and eyes.
As for collectors bears I guess it's about experimenting and being creative, and getting to know yourself, your abilities and your material, and doing it with the highest standard you are capable of...
I'm itching though to try my hands at the supplies I bought and create a bear for adults.

This is a great forum. In the last few days I managed to dig in on some of the posts, so Thank You all for sharing and answering. It's an honour to learn from you all! bear_grin

Board footer