Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Boz's Bears Tedwina & Friends
Shetland
Website

Right folks - this may be a case of running before I can walk etc, but I've just got out of a meeting with our local arts/crafts development officer and they think I should apply for the local arts and crafts development fund, so I can get a bunch of stuff in to allow me to design and make a collection of bears to go on sale.  My bears might not be the best in the bearmaking world, but there is a very vibrant local craft scene up here, and if I can use that to get me some time and money to really work on developing my bears, then what the heck, I'm gonna go for it!

So - the idea is I will put together costings to design a small collection of bears which would then go on sale - I was thinking maybe 30 bears max (is this too many?), probably 6 individual patterns and then 5 variations on each in terms of colour, finish etc...

Anyhoo - what I really need to do is put together costings, as the fund covers materials, equipment etc as well as time.

Obviously I will need to factor in fabrics, joints, eyes, fillings, thread etc to cover the initial run of bears. Is there anything else I need to get though? I've got a sewing machine, so I can't apply for that as its not on it's last legs yet - but I'm thinking stuffing tools, cotter pin keys, other useful bits and bobs that might make my life easier.

It's not guaranteed I'll get what I ask for, but as this would allow me to make a good number of bears without having to wait months in between each so I can afford to buy more fabrics etc, I think I might as well grab the bull by the horns and run with it.

I'm thinking things like a big sheet of plain cotton (or similar) to test patterns on - things like that that I might have overlooked but would make my life easier & also one off purchases that I could cost into my 'project' so that I don't have to fork out for them from my own pocket!

So - if you were me, what you would be putting on the wish list?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just think I would go one step at a time. That way you will reach a point that you are happy with your pattern. I have about 3 patterns I re-use the rest I  just draw from scratch every single time. I certainly wouldn't look to make editions ....it's the single most tedious thing....
If I were you I would get some different textures of fabrics ...look no further than the fantastic selection on the Intercal website..some dyes so you can play with dye...some bags of joints ...some stuffing....some eyes and just play till you are going in the right direction. I have never made a prototype in anything other than mohair or faux fur because making it in another fabric doesn't really show the shape properly....
Just take your time...it will evolve naturally...till one day you will make a bear that is going in the right direction....if you ever get to the point you have made the perfect bear that's when to stop...I don't think I will ever get there!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

A development fund... Sounds interesting! A couple of expenses you didn't mention are tools (do you have everything you need?), shading supplies (do you have oils, pastels, brushes, etc.?) and accessories (will you be giving the bears neck bows, hand-made garments, feathered and bejeweled hats?). Then there are advertising costs, and perhaps travel and show costs. I hope this helps!

Becky

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Hiya,
There were a few pieces of equipment that made my life much easier when I started out. The first is a stuffing tool called 'The Ultimate Stuffer'. You can check it out here at Christie Bears: https://www.christiebears.com/acatalog/ … uffer.html It's not strictly essential but I found that it made stuffing quicker and it gave the firm results I wanted for the traditional bears I was making at the time. I would also recommend a cotter pin key. I started out using screw joints but later switched to cotter pins as I found them much easier. It would also be worthwhile investing in a good pair of scissors. They don't need to be super expensive, but it helps if they are designed for the job of cutting heavy material like mohair.
When I am trialling a new pattern I make up a rough in cheap fabric. (I usually buy a metre or two from Dunelm and it comes to no more than a few pounds). As Jenny says, it won't give you the shape of the finished bear (you will need to imagine fur over the top, which will make the shape significantly fatter) but I find it does help me with proportions like arm and leg length, and knowing that pieces like the head gusset fit soundly, and that gives me confidence to cut into my expensive mohair.  bear_original
Another piece of kit I find useful is a set of position eyes. You can find them here at Bear Basics: http://www.bearbasics.co.uk/glass-position-eyes/p293. Again, not strictly essential, but I find them great for experimenting with different eye positions and expressions and working out what size eyes I need to order. I make small to medium sized bears and find that Set 1, 4-10mm serves me well.
I hope that this helps. Best of luck with your funding!  :thumbsup:
Claire.

Boz's Bears Tedwina & Friends
Shetland
Website

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I've got all the fabrics, threads, joints, stuffing & eyes I can think of listed now, plus some position eyes, cotter keys and that sort of thing. Plus at the last minute I thought it might be a good idea to put on a product photography light setup for online selling - so now just have to keep my fingers crossed that I get it!

Board footer