Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jozi Bears Jozi Bears
Johannesburg

Hi all, Fairly new to the forum, never used shading on a bear. Been reading a lot in the library on shading bears. Shelli's oil method sounds fool proof - will have to try. I do airbrush make-up (day job) so very familiar with those techniques - could be a good option for me.

Two questions;
1. I have read a lot about different types of markers - most not available in SA, but I do have alcohol based Spectrum Noir markers used in scrapbooking: does anyone have experience with alcohol markers on bears?

2. Do you shade all your bears? Do you only use it only to "age" a bear or give it a more 'life like' appearance?

Thanx
Theresa

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

Hi Theresa,

I think there are many ways to shade.

I shade rarely and most times I only shade the eyes, because of the expression. I don't age my bears.

I take "touch twin markers" (similar to "Copic Markers")

My girlfriend takes watercolour Crayons.

If you want to use your alcohol based Spectrum Noir markers, you may test it on a small peace of fur.

Jozi Bears Jozi Bears
Johannesburg

Hi,
Thanks so much, will let you know how the alcohol markers do on different fabrics  bear_flower

Tx

Jozi Bears Jozi Bears
Johannesburg

Hi Guys and Gals, I promised to update you on how the alcohol markers did.
On synthetic fur it was very hard to blend, very blotchy and definitely not recomended
On Mohair its an uhm uhm not sure. Works well for defining seams and any solid shading but blending is again not very easy. With the help of some artist white spirits I was able to "blend" the edges a little lighter to create a faded efect.
Still wasn't very happy with the look so I ran off to the shops and bought some oil paints - Thank you Shelli!   Her oil paint dry brushing technique is extremely easy and very user friendly! I got instant results with only a drop of paint. It is very easy to build a colour up to a darker more intense shading.

Problem now - I am a little 'shading happy' been walking around with the brush studying each bear I made, thinking *you can do with some shading*... this can get dangerous, I can see the little critters run for cover! bear_grin

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
i hope the Translation ist allright
"who dares wins" "everything in Moderation and target" "all roads lead to Rome"

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

How do you shade with oil paints? I tried shading using Promarkers, copics, permanent pen, watercolours, you name it I tried it, none of them worked as they wouldn't stop rubbing off on your hands as soon as you touched it, so I gave up trying to shade :(.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I still have bears that I shaded with markers 12 years ago. The shading hasn't faded or come off. I use art markers that do not fade. Faber Castell are good.  I also use water colours but I use a wetting agent to wet the paint. I add a drop of detergent to the water. This enables the fabric to accept the colour . But you need to try for yourself

jenny wrote:

I still have bears that I shaded with markers 12 years ago. The shading hasn't faded or come off. I use art markers that do not fade. Faber Castell are good.  I also use water colours but I use a wetting agent to wet the paint. I add a drop of detergent to the water. This enables the fabric to accept the colour . But you need to try for yourself

Are art markers different to copics/pros then? And by water colors do you mean paints or pencils? I'm guessing the detergent is fairy liquid, but what's a wetting agent (other than water? bear_tongue )? ive got some spare mohair offcuts so I'm going to try and practice shading on them.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

A wetting agent enables water to actually wet fabric because water on its own is partially repelled by the natural oils in the fabric and waters surface tension has to broken down. So using a bit of detergent , fairy liquid or shampoo helps do that and helps the colour to adhere to the fibres. That's why you can't wash your hair with water alone.
I am afraid it's a case of trying for yourself to find out what works for you , all these things are easily researched generally on the Internet. Ive just tried different things to find what works. What works for one artist might not be what you are looking for

Thank you for that, I will do some experimenting and give it a go with my spare fabric. I have both watercolor paints and pencils so I'll try both out  bear_original

Board footer