Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

Is it possible to make paw pads out of polymer/Fimo clay or Sculpey and fix them securely to mohair at all, to give 3D doggy paws? Or will it be make the paws hard and breakable?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You can do it...it is possible to attach them to an armature and build the fabric around that. If you are thinking of simply sticking clay pads on then, yes,  I think they might break eventually. Unless they were a rubber or flexible resin type of foot pad bonded to the fabric.

Erin Seals Stonesthrow Critters
Magnolia, AR

Are you looking for a more realistic paw? I had trouble with finding the right material when I started too.  I ended up using silicone.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I sculpt paw pads and claws using Apoxie clay. I used to use Fimo, but Apoxie is more resistant. I paint the paw pads, and attach them very firmly using instant glue. You just need to be careful to expose the fabric where you want to attach the tiny piece, trimming the fur. I find it a good solution. The pads are very firmly attached, and don't break that easily (I don't design my pieces for children, so I guess they wouldn't be child proof....collectors should be more delicate I think!  bear_original )This is a picture of fox feet I did using that technique.
1424699254_fox_feet_wip_tt.jpg

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

That is brilliant and so realistic! I like the claws too, but your paws are much bigger than mine, I don't think mine has the space to fit them on so they would have to be tiny and then they'd be very fiddly to make and fix on. Yours are awesome though! bear_thumb

Board footer