Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

Dear Teddy Talk members,

I was wondering if anybody had ever used wood shavings for suffing teddies. I know that woodwool is commonly used by teddy makers, but I'm talking about wood shavings that are created by using a common wood plane.
I have quite a big stash of wood shavings, and I was thinking of using it. My concern is that as it dries out it may crumble inside of the teddy and in the end it will turn into sawdust...I already searched the net and this forum, and I didn't find anything about that type of probable stuffing.
Or maybe I should mix it with something else, mabe somehing like rubberfoam.
Does anybody have any experience with wood shavings, should I use them?

Thanks
Zsuzsi
1428482274_wood_shavings.jpg

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I can't see it would be a problem but the only thing is if you were ever thinking of selling them it would be a huge no-no. Without the wood being treated to prevent any contamination it would not go through any customs inspection. That's why I'd stick to woodwool

Website

Thanks Jenny!

Your answer lead me to some other questions:

I've found a hungarian woodwool suplier, but I understand that they sell woodwool for eco friendly packaging and product cushioning. I'm not sure if it is treated with anything against contamination.
Is the woodwool that teddy makers use treated,preared differently, or is it any way more special compared to the woodwool sold for packagig?

I'm thinking of selling my bears for a while now, as we won't really fit into our apartement if I keep creating them. And I'm quite sure I will.....

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Get in touch with them and ask but you can buy from Teddy bear supplies stores...they will sell the type that is used for stuffing. It needs to be fine grade

Website

I'll do that! Thanks!

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Excuse my ignorance i have wood shavings that i was told i could use in my Teddies Noses ../My Question what is the Diferance between Wood Wool and Wood Shavings Sorry in SA never heard of it Help Perhaps a supplier A photo a discription please Thankyou

Angela Dean School Bears
Bristol
Website

I think that wood shavings are fine, but of course as others say, you will need to be careful if you were thinking of selling on your products

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Gugu's, I think a quick search on Google images will answer your question. Wood wool, or excelsior, consists of long, fine strands of wood. Wood shavings are the waste that results from woodworking. (If you've ever been to a woodworking shop, you 've probably seen wood shavings and sawdust all over the floor. ) bear_original

Becky

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Thankyou all ill Try looking up on Google  Hugs

NatalyTools NatalyTools
Kurgan, Russia
Website

I usually use sawdust stuffing my bears in the old style.
But I also have a big bag of wood shavings and I do not really like it.
I can use it only for the big bears, adding into the stomach.
I know that some people like the effect of half-empty bear, but it's not for me.
I love the small chips that are well compacted.

Bears on Bluebird Hill Posts: 9

Hi,
I'm new here. Not new to bear making but I do have a question on this topic.
I have used excelsior for years but have run across some posts by Russian artist with pictures if what looks like fine wood shavings, short bits, almost like what is used as hamster bedding but not cedar.
I've also seen (as stated above) references to sawdust.
Where can I buy these products?  I would love to try both.
Thanks for any help!
Glad to have found you!
Daphne

NatalyTools NatalyTools
Kurgan, Russia
Website

Yes, you're right, I buy chips in Russia that for the hamster
from a pet store - so I have a guarantee it's  clean and soft.
in any case not at the sawmill!

Bears on Bluebird Hill Posts: 9

Thank you, Nataly!!
That is wonderful news!
Kisses!
I'm headed to pet store.

cosplaycanine1957 Posts: 3

The teddy bears that where stuffed with sawdust and wood shavings had moving joints to the arms to body, legs to body and the head to the And yes they were mohair teddy bears.

jkstein Posts: 2

Is there any place in the US where you can get the wood wool for stuffing? Has anyone done a video on how to stuff with wood wool?

Avasbears Posts: 1

You can get wood wool / excelsior at most craft stores. It's usually in the floral section. I've bought it at Michael's, Joanne and Hobby Lobby.

Board footer