Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jozi Bears Jozi Bears
Johannesburg

Been wondering about the steel-shot inside a bear's tummy and metal accessories added to a bear.
Do the customs x-ray pick up the metal in and on the bear, and do they then open the box to see what's inside?

Second thing, what do you list a bear as on the customs form: toy???, collectable???

thanx in advance
Tx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm probably not as knowledgeable as some on this subject, but I've mailed several bears overseas.  As it's been some years ago, the requirements may be different now.  I seem to remember that classifying the package as a "gift" would get the lowest customs charge.  I also made a list of what was inside the bear such as steel/glass pellets, fiberfill, excelsior, etc. and attached a very small sample of each item in a plastic bag.  Then cross your fingers and hope they won't open the package.  Someone else may have more current suggestions as to what is needed now.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

I've had no trouble sending bears overseas and I always mark it as "gift" and list as "Soft Toy". Coming into the country I have only had one bear stopped at customs and go through a treatment process because the bear contained sand/gravel. Was not amused and had to pay but it was either that or have the bear destroyed!! Also I have had the odd package that has been opened by customs this end so they do go through  X-ray - obviously they weren't quite sure what was in the package. In all the years that I have been sending bears overseas I haven't lost one yet!  bear_grin

Board footer