Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Fossil Moss Bears Fossil Moss Bears
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Website

Hi Folks, I'm thinking of trying a resin nose. Would people recommend Apoxie sculpt or Milliput for this purpose. Wondering which sticks best to the fabric/felted base?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have used both, and they are very similar. I have used Apoxie Sculpt over an needle felted nose, and I can tell you it does not stick easily to felting. I know that people do put this material right on fabric, so if I were to do it again I would add it directly to the fabric. I think the best way may be to make the nose a separate piece and add a loop of wire to the back. Attach this to the muzzle with the wire and some glue under it to really hold it in place. You can then shape it if you need to right on the face.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Website

It's invaluable to know that it doesn't stick well straight to a felted base, when I try it I'll harden the nose base first, maybe with some pva or matt varnish? I really like the thought of it being integrated into the face. I'll try making a separate one too, maybe with wire loops round the edge, then felt over them and build up round  the edge of the nose? I love solving material problems and trying out techniques, and you're the queen of invention!

Btw, love love love your bears, thank you so much for sharing your skills, feel honoured xx

Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you for the comments on the bears, I appreciate it Fossil Bears.

If I were to add it directly to the face again, I would do just what you said and firm the fabric up with glue or Mod Podge. You would just want to make sure that whatever you use will penetrate the fabric and not just lay on top. You would not want the nose to peel off. So maybe a couple of layers, starting with one that was diluted so it would sink down into the stuffing under the fabric.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I have tried moulding a nose directly on with milliput but it ended up a bit messy. I preped the area first with super glue allowed soak in and dry and it certainly stuck good and fast. But the mistake I made was not thinking enough about the muzzle shape and still couldn't achieve the seamless look on the top/bridge I was after thinking I could use the milliput to smooth in to the fabric. When it is too thinly spread it just cracked as the muzzle still had some give (even though very firmly stuffed) You also have to sand away your finger prints once it is dry and it didn't like the acrylic paint much either I think an oil would have been more successful. I decided that I would have to make a firm base /some kind of nose skull to go inside the end of the muzzle for the rock hard base need to mould the nose how I wanted it but then worried about the weight throwing the balance of the bear outer kilter and so I haven't tried it again but I would be interested to know how you get along. My realistic bear is still on the shelf after I pulled it off (with the end off the muzzle - yes very well stuck on!)  and then started to needlefelt before I went off on some other idea.
Good luck  bear_thumb

Bloomsburg, PA

Edmomdnutmeg, you have made some very good points, and for those reasons I needle felt the noses. I was just looking on the description of Michelle Lamb's nose class that she is giving at the Quinlan show, and I see she is using Apoxie Sculpt over a stitched nose. That is she is getting it to adhere, makes a lot of sense.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Website

Thanks for sharing your experience edmond. Think I'm going to try a polymer clay nose first. then I think I'll try milliput over a felted nose as Joanne suggests.

Both your input is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Natalie x

Board footer