Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Our tree will remain up for at least another week.  I'm not ready to take everything down yet.  Plus, not everyone has see the tree yet and our Disney monorail set under it. 

Kim,
What are the differences between Orthodox and western (not sure what to call it) Christianity?  Why don't all Christians celebrate on the same day?  I'm just curious because I don't know anything about Orthodox and I was just interested.   bear_original

Eileen,
I know about the young married couples' stuff in your mother's house.  Because we're in an apartment, a lot of our wedding presents are being stored in the the guest room at my mom's house.  We'll take everything when we get a house.   We got married in March 2004.  bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
I Love Teddies wrote:

Kim,
What are the differences between Orthodox and western (not sure what to call it) Christianity?  Why don't all Christians celebrate on the same day?  I'm just curious because I don't know anything about Orthodox and I was just interested.   :)

There are actually lots of little differences between Orthodox churches and Western Christianity.... and there are lots of little differences between the various branches of Orthodox Churches as well.  I find the Coptic Church particularly fascinating because I grew up Lutheran, and studied a lot of religion in undergrad ( I was a philosophy major, but did my concentration in comparative religion and folklore.  The college I went to allowed you to pursue a Masters Degree concurrent with the last two years of undergraduate study, so I graduated "ABT"- that's "Everything But Thesis"- I got pregnant before I could complete it!) Anyway, as various calendars were introduced over the centuries, some churches adopted the new calendars, and others didn't.  the Coptic Church kept their old calendar, so all the festival and feast days are different for them. 

http://www.copticchurch.net/easter.html

Here's the link for my church...

http://www.stmarkcoccleveland.org/copticchurch.html

The Coptic Church has also maintained some interesting rituals that date WAY back to when Christianity was just a fledgling religion practiced in homes and tiny little "churches."  Orthodox, by it's very definition... really doesn't change, and since the Copts are such a small group, they really haven't had the need to adapt much to the changing times... It's really interesting to see how they have adapted somewhat to having their churches in places other than Egypt though.... The mass is in Coptic... which is a language that isn't even spoken anymore!  Over here they have the Coptic mass, an Arabic mass.... and an English mass twice a month for those of us who don't understand either Coptic or Arabic!   

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All, very interesting topic. We in Scotland leave them up till 6th of January as that is twelfth night ,and you will have good luck all year if you leave them up till then.The twelve days of Christmas finishes on the 6th of January.  I miss them when I put them away.  Hope you all have a Great New Year. Cheers  Rita xxxxxx

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Rita, I always believed it was good luck to leave everything up until Jan. 6, too, and it certainly is easier to do now that we have an artificial tree! bear_original  Happy New  Year !
   Suzanne

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ours will be up till Jan 6th too --- I hate it when the decorations come down, because the room looks so bare! I'm going to leave some fairy lights up this year, hopefully tasteful ones, just to add some glow to the winter months  bear_grin .

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have to admit that since taking the tree and decorations down it almost feels like Christmas never happened. (Except for the STILL STUFFED feeling I have and all the presents Santa brought!)

I did leave the window lights up and of course the wreaths on the doors outside. They'll stay up 'til February because I enjoy them and it gives such a homey, warm feel.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Kim,

Thanks for all the info and for the links.  It was interesting.   bear_original

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

We don't take stuff down until Epiphany which is this weekend, So next Sunday, bye bye tree!

Board footer