Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

taralee teds Taralee Teds
south australia

xmasviolet.jpgThis little bear is my first attempt at real fur bear_wacko  Boy is that hard work!!! I used an old fur of my late great Aunt and the bear was a gift for her sister (my dear Nan) I thought Id try my first one out on a reli so they would have to love it!! bear_laugh
Her name is Violet (after my Aunt Viola), she is around 10" tall and her paw pads are the 'skin' with the fur shaved off.She is posing with a metal christmas sleigh in front of my christmas tree and has some gold ribbon and baubles around her neck.
I love the look of real fur and Im in awe of some of the creations Ive seen so while I know I have a LONG way to go - I dont thinks she's too bad!  bear_original

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

She is definately sweet.  I really like her! :hug:

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Kerynn you should be very pleased with yourself Violet is adorable, she is up there with the best of them.

I bet your Nan was right chuffed at receiving such a gorgeous bear.

Mel

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap: I think you've done VERY well for a first attempt!!  I'm sure your nan will adore her  bear_wub

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Kerynn

I really think she's wonderful bear_wub  You must be so proud of her.

Your story reminds me of the one and only attempt at a fur bear I made. My Mother inherited an old suitcase of fur coats from her late Aunt. My great Aunt was quite well off and she used to spend a lot of time in London at the theatres, Opera etc and would always dress up to the nines in furs, stoles capes etc.

Well, after I had made my first 4 mohair bears I thought I'd try and make a fur one from the worst of the coats. I couldn't believe what a mess I was getting in - fur went everywhere and I didn't realise at the time that you should line real fur. The end result was acceptable and Mum likes it ( I gave it to her). I can't stand looking at it now and want to throw it away - It is nothing like your lovely Violet. bear_flower

I may try another real fur bear one day, we still have all these coats stored away.

Take care bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

She is precious!!! I love her expression... GOOD JOB  bear_thumb

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Kerynn

I think your bear is lovely!!!   I'm sure your nan will be over the moon!!   I have a real fur coat which I bought for bear making, it's beautiful, but I'm not brave enough to take the project on - yet - one day!!!    bear_whistle

Do you think you'll make any more in real fur??

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kerynn, you did a magnificent job on your first real fur bear!  Your nan will adore it - I do, too!

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Kerynn, she is adorable! She has such a sweet expression.

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

I just love the facial expression. She'd look good in a profile shot too. I like her eyes and tummy. Good job.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Absolutely cute as a button! Way to go!

Many Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

She is gorgeous!!!! Well done!!   :clap:

Danni

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kerynn, He is really sweet.  Working with real fur is defintily a challenge and you pulled it off great!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awwwww she's a cutie for sure.  Did your grandmama love him?

Look forward to an update!

:hug:

Dilu

taralee teds Taralee Teds
south australia

Thank you all for the encouragment  :hug: My nan did love it, I gave it to her on Christmas day and Im told it will have a very prominent place in her house!!
Id like to do more fur bears but I need to rest my fingers. bear_shocked  I found it SO hard to sew that I ended up machine sewing the body and limbs and hand sewing paws and the head. The leather was really thick which was a bit off putting but its turned out in the end! I just get so inspired by the beautiful fur bears I see hear that I want to do more!!

Board footer