Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

The wire they put in glass eyes for attatching, is it jewellery wire or something else/stronger?  I want something strong that will bake in some sculpey clay and not go brittle or break off.

This is the sort of thing I'm trying to get:

fabric-covered-button-01-335.jpg

Sorry the pic is so big, I don't know how to get it smaller bear_ermm

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

I've used copper wire(for jewelry) and aluminum wire(from the harware store) with oven bake clay before. I made a loop and sunked it into the clay to hang up the doll I created, after baking none of them turned brittle. You could make a loop with it just like the ones on the glass eyes.
Hope this helps.
Zsuzsi

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

Thank you Zsuzsi, that definitely helps bear_thumb .

Since I posted this thread, I discovered you can actually buy the back parts of those types of buttons in different sizes, so I was wondering if pressing a really small one into the oven clay would work? Basically making the pawpad into a button, then sewing it on. The button backs are aluminium I believe so I'm not sure if that would stand being put in an oven, but turkey foil is aluminium and that has no problems being heated up:/ .

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

I don't think that aluminum would melt in the oven when you bake the clay. (It's melting point must be a lot higher than 266 'F. That's the approx. baking heat for oven bake clays, if I remember correctly.)
Pay attention that you incorporate some part of the aluminum backing into the "body" of the clay part, as should it be put under strain it could pop off from the aluminum part. (I talk from experience. :-) )

Zsuzsi

Board footer