Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi girls,
I am having a blast with a new program I downloaded from the net called Worldwind. It allows you to see different parts of the world via satellite and the pics are amazingly clear! You just plug in where you want to go and it takes you there. You can go in quite close...about the height a jet would fly and you can even turn the pics sideways and they become 3D. So I have been visiting all you girls! So far I have visited Sue Ann in Double Oak, Shelli in Chico, and Millie in Frazeysburg....and tonight, I'm visisting Oregon to say hi to Winney! I took a screen shot of Double Oak and Chico and also one of Phillip Island where I live..so will see if I can upload them to my site and post them here so you can see. The pics in the USA are the clearest (I could see houses and driveways and trees in Double Oak!)because that's where the program is designed for, but I was still quite pleased with the detail in Australian pics too. My geography has improved ten fold since getting this program and now I know where heaps of places are in America whereas before..I was pretty clueless.:rolleyes: It's so great seeing where evryone comes from!
You really need broadband to be able to run the program and it DID takes 3 1/2 hours to download initially...but it's so fascinating!!:D

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

The next time you visit, stop in and say HI! 

That sounds like a really fun program.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Hayley,

That program sounds awesome. Come visit me in Bellevue, Nebraska! Not too many bear artist in my area that I know of and would love to have you visit!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Hayley, I bet you did not visit me in Scotland. He He. Hugs Rita xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hayley

let me know when you hit the Pacific Northwest of the US- we'll go out and wave to you!

Dilu:P

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Tooooooo cool, Hayley!!  bear_cool bear_cool bear_cool  Wow, had I know you were visiting me I would have gone out in the yard and given you a big Texas howdy-do!!  Y'all come back now, ya heah??!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think the program sounds great, and I'm glad you visited (did you see me in my flannel cow-jumping-over-the-moon pajamas?), but I've just got to ask how big that program is, if it took THREE HOURS to download... on broadband.  Yikes! bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm tucked away here in Maidstone, Kent UK, in my tiny corner of the globe ... let me know when your satellite next flies by and I'll dash out into my garden and give you a wave! bear_cool

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Hayley,
Wow that program sound just awesome, please tell us what it is and how to get it, my son would love it.
Thanks.
Jane.

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Hayley, that program is so cool!  Can't wait to see the pics. bear_cool:cool:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh Hayley, that sounds AMAZING.  Doens't it boggle your mind what you can do these days?  It does mine! (But then it doesn't take much to boggle my mind LOL)

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

That is amazing ...I didn't know such things existed ! What fun you are having Hayley ...Winney

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hayley? Hayley? I will be expecting you for wine and chocolate in Tofield Alberta Canada. I doubt if can find it on your satelite as it is about the size of your big toe. Hence the name. No.. not really but it is a small town. looking forward to your visit!

Hugs Louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, Louise, are you up yet after your wine and chocolate party???
How are the Potty Bears? (OK, just kidding but I have to say, as I was sewing last night that I thought of what it would be like to be sewing in the Beesley Bath!! That's it: Beesley Bath Bears... but then they'd all have to be naked and carrying a rubber ducky.) This should be a post on the 'Workstation' topic. Sorry girls. But I've just read a lot about wine and chocolate from our dear Louise and finally had to say something! :D

My hubby has found a similar satelite program and he's printed out pics of our house, the ones we each grew up in, our cabin in Maine, etc..... it's very cool. But they aren't LIVE photos... they're archives. I hadn't thought of going to visit all of you! Great idea, Hayley.... come visit the White Mountains of NH..... (they aren't white at the moment but that's what they call 'em.)

Bear Hugs from my little corner of the globe!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hayley, don't forget to stop by Japan :)
I will be expecting you for Sushi(Or grill food) and Sake :P

Bear Hugs/Marie

Australia

Sorry I've taken so long to respond...busy day yesterday!
Well my post had the desired effect....and some of you have come out and said where I can look for you...so I have more people to visit!:D
Unfortunately the pics from the program aren't live...there's no way of telling how old they are, so there'll be no zooming in to check out your clothes lines to see what colour undies you all wear!!;)
Now to answer some questions...
Shelli..the program is 180MB which is why it takes so long to download...but there are faster broadband connections than what we have. One of the sample pics I have put up is Chico...but I have since found that there are umpteen Chico's in the USA...I was pretty sure you mentioned California..but if I'm wrong...forgive!
Jane...would love to know which program your hubby has. My hubby and son just love all this kinda stuff and I'm sure they'd love to check out yours too. The one I'm using is at http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ It also has a built in encyclopaedia called Wikipaedia which has loads of info about the places you visit. You can make it so the pics show landmarks and place names and if you click on the landmark logos it gives all the info you could possibly want about the landmark. It's fantastic for school kids! It's so detailed though, it would be a bit of a worry in the hand of terrorists..scary!
Louise..I'm up for the challenge, and I'll guarantee I'll be able to find Tofield!
Dilu...roughly where in the Pacific Northwest are you??
I DID zoom in on Grant's Pass..where I think you mentioned for your get together.
Danni...I went to Canberra yesterday..and the big loop around parliment house and the red road up to the war museum really stood out..but Lake Burley Griffin looked like a pond! What is the huge water reservoir to the North East of Canberra??
Anyway..I have put a couple of pics on my site at the addresses below if you want to peek. I live on Phillip Island...which is way down the bottom right hand corner of Australia. You can't see the bridge which joins us to the mainland from the pic..but it's at the right hand side, where the isand is closest to the mainland, which you can see a bit of.

http://www.justusbears.com/Chico!.gif

http://www.justusbears.com/Double-Oak.gif

http://www.justusbears.com/Phillip-Island.gif

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wow! Now, when Shelli's 'Summer' bear sprinkles pixie dust on us so we can fly to Japan to see Marie, we'll have an aerial view to stop by some of our friends' houses on the way.  I was surprised at how colorful Phillip Island is.  What a lovely place you live in, Hayley. bear_original

Australia

Hi Hayley,

It's amazing!

Glad to see you visited me! I think the large water reserve is Googong Dam - pretty huge and amazing!

Danni

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Waaaaay cooool, Hayley!!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All,
             I downloaded this programme it was 575 mb, after all my work ,it caused a computer error and it advised me to shut down my computer. Boo Hoo, I was so looking forward to visiting everyone. Its XP I am on and loadsa space too ,so I have no idea what went wrong.  Maybe Scotland was too far to travel .he he;):D

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I guess it must have been night time in Double Oak when you visited, Hayley.  I don't see any lights and I'm pretty sure we have electricity here!!  bear_grin bear_grin

Australia

No Sue Ann, It was in fact day time...it's just that some of the images show up better if you change them to black and white, which is what I did for yours and Chico. There are different satellites you can choose from too, and some give clearer pics. Since taking these pics, my 11 year old daughter was 'Wind surfing" and managed to find pics of Los Angeles airport that are so clear and close, you can not only see the planes on the ground, but you can see what kind of planes they are! We picked out a Virgin Blue and a Qantas...and there was one plane just taking off and you could see it's shadow on the runway! You could even see all the cars in the car park. I'd estimate this was from about 1 mile up. It does warp a bit if you go closer...but so clear it's scary! It's a shame it's not designed for Australia....the best shots we can get are similar to the one of Phillip Island.
Rita,I'm sorry your computer mucked up...how disappointing! Usually it's our computer that pulls those tricks.I'm sure my hubby sais it was only 180MB.
Laure, Phillip Island IS a lovely place to live....we have some of  Victoria's few North facing beaches which are calm and great for swimming, and on the other side of the Island, we have some of Australia's best surf beaches. My daughter has become quite the surfer this last summer...but now it's winter, the water isn't so inviting. Roll on summer! Because it's so beautiful here, the population swells from a permanent population of 5,000 to about 50,000 over the Christmas holidays...and then it's a not so nice place to be. I can see why the tourists come, but I wish they wouldn't! They take over the island and we have to go to the supermarket at 7am so we don't get squashed in the mob and line up for everything. We also have the Fairy Penguin Parade and seal colonies, which attracts many international tourists, and bus loads of Japanese tourists arrive on the Island every night of the year to go to see the penguins toddle up the beach to their burrows at dusk...they really are too cute!:cool:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I googled Phillip Island and saw some beautiful scenery!!  A very inviting place to be.  I can understand why you have tons of visitors . . . and those penguins are adorable!

Australia

Oh Mum's been to Phillip Island to see the Penguins.  They sound adorable!!!!  I saw a bit of scenery when I saw a show called "Scencing Murder"  Did you see the show Hayley???? I wonder, did you know the people involved? mmmmm!!1

Australia

Hi Danni,
I know of all the people involved in the murder...and the lady who supposedly did the murdering has two sons the same age group as me so I do see them around from time to time, It's a very sad affair that....and the hardest part is, that we may never know what happened that night...and the poor boys may never have their mothers name cleared.
Of course the whole thing was dramatised for telly..but I found it all very unnerving.:(

Board footer