Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I wonder what is the best way to stuff teddy's arms and legs ,either before or after jointing them to the body?
I presently stuff the limbs then attach them to the body but I've noticed in photos on experienced bear artists blogs  a teddy's head attached to an empty body with empty limbs.,does it make a difference?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Renee.  What works for me is to attach the finished head to an empty body, then stuff each limb up to the point where the joints will go.  I then attach each limb to the body and stuff it (body).  The last thing I do is completely finish stuffing each limb and sew up the openings.  I don't know how others prefer to do it . . . I'm sure there are different methods that work just fine.

Thanks SueAnn,that's interesting. I guess that method would help to get a good shoulder shape in proportion to the body.
I'm going to give it a try  bear_thumb .

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I do the same as Sue Ann, but as I'm closing up with the ladder stitch, and that opening is getting smaller and smaller, I'm still adding bits of stuffing as needed to get the firmness and shape that I want. (I found out early on that if I simply stuffed and then closed the seam, I'd end up with too-soft shoulders or uneven firmness on the two sides.)

Becky

Thanks Becky,that's a great tip.
I really appreciate experienced bear artists as you & SueAnn sharing their "lessons learnt" in bearmaking.

Board footer