Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi all , I'm new to the art of making bears, still doing some research and
working on my first bear.
I will be sewing with the machine, what is the best thread to use?
I had read somewhere 100% Nylon?
Would this be ok?
What about to attach the eyes?
Thanks,
Tami

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use Coats and Clark Dual Duty in the machine, upholstery thread for sewing up openings and attaching ears, and synthetic sinew for installing eyes.  Welcome to bearmaking - I'm sure it will become a passion, just like with the rest of us!  Good luck!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

oh dear Tani,

first:  Welcome to the board, we are delighted to have you here, and I hope you will go to the New Member section and post a bit about yourself.

We don't have many rules......but we are absolutely gaga over pictures, so we will love seeing anything you create!

Now about thread.....you will find as many answers as there are members.

I use cotton for my machine sewing, poly works too, but I am an old quilter so there is this fear that the poly will cut through the cotton fibers of the backing.  It probably wont, I don't know why I WORRY.  for my minimini bears I use silk,  Upholstery thread is great for hand sewing, and I find it works just fine for eyes.  On miniminis I use a nylon as it is thinner. 

You will want to try several types to decide what you like.  When I first started I bought upholstery thread from the same internet shop as my mohair, that way when I went to sew up the back it matched the color of the bear.  No problem.  Its a personal preferance.

I do everything but the miniminis for me 3 inches and under on the machine.  And the gollies are almost exclusively on the machine. 

Experiement with what makes you comfortable, you'll find your  way.

Again welcome, glad to have you here>

dilu

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Thanks all,

I will post a pic of my first bear when I'm finished, I'm sure I will be on
here a lot bugging everyone way before he is finished. LOL

I posted more about myself in the New Members section.   bear_original

Hugzzzzzzz
Tami

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Tami, from another Tammy.  Gee this is going to get confusing  bear_laugh   Welcome to the board and bearmaking.   :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Tami, One thing will you learn very fast here is that there are lots of different opinions and even more ways of achieveing any one thing.  Be prepared and keep an open mind and you will find from experience what works best for you....and alwys feel free to ask any questions you want...we love questions...don't we??!!!

I use uphostery thread for everything. even machine stitching..when I actually use a machine.  Most everything I sew is by hand.  I enjoy torturing myself. bear_smile

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm with Judi.  I keep it simple and easy by using upholstery thread for EVERYTHING.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Judikins,

do you change the bobbin tension when you use the upholstery or does it make any differance?  I'm going to have to try it.....

dily

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I, like the other gals, use upholstry thread for EVERYTHING....  I hand sew though bear_original  I tried to machine sew with upholstry thread and my sewing machine FREAKED out! made all kinds of funny noises!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dily, Nope, I don't change my bobbin tension.  So far so good...BUT...I hand sew almost everything (even that whopping 23" Sherwood) by hand. bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

SueAnn wrote:

I use Coats and Clark Dual Duty in the machine, upholstery thread for sewing up openings and attaching ears, and synthetic sinew for installing eyes.  Welcome to bearmaking - I'm sure it will become a passion, just like with the rest of us!  Good luck!

I do the same as Sue Ann!  When I close my seams with the Upholstery thread I run it thru "thread heaven" or beeswax and double it.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My machine (NEW) absolutely hates upholstery thread...so I use 100% polyester by Gutermann but if I can't get the right color then I use Coats & Clark.  I hand sew and do everything else with the upholstery thread.  I've tried adjusting the tension etc., and my machine must be allergic to it or something...it coughs, sputters and cries out NO MORE.  I'm considering taking my OLD workhorse down and having it adjusted just for the upholstery thread.

Welcome...I checked out your Barbies...awesome...bears will be a piece of cake.

Shantell

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Tami!
Yeah, another bear artist from Colorado!  :hug:
I always use nylon. I do minis, so always hand sew, but I have used nylon upholstery thread in my machine for other projects. You just need to get some new needles for it, they have a bigger hole for the thicker thread.

Board footer