Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

Has anyone tried ironing mohair to produce a sleeker/flatter pile?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have not tried ironing, but I have soaked it in warm/hot water, rolled it up in a towel to get rid of excess water, and then used a slicker brush to brush it flat.   If you decide to try ironing, I would put a damp light towel over it first to create steam.

Thanks for the suggestion! I assume you use a slicker brush on longer pile mohair? I prefer working with very short fur, so I think a steam towel will be a better bet. When I get the chance, I will test it on a scrap and report my findings.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Great!  I'm looking forward to hearing about your results.  I use a slicker brush for all mohair if it needs to be brushed.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have ironed mohair many times. I have used an iron before I sew and stuff, I have used an iron after I sew and stuff. I have used a human hair flat iron too. Mohair to me is very similar to human hair. I treat it in the same way.

desertmountainbear wrote:

I have ironed mohair many times. I have used an iron before I sew and stuff, I have used an iron after I sew and stuff. I have used a human hair flat iron too. Mohair to me is very similar to human hair. I treat it in the same way.

Thank you very much! How do you use the iron after stuffing?

On a sidenote, what happened to your blog? Your tutorials were an absolute goldmine of information.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use a small portable iron, I drag it across the fur. I would only do this with mohair or alpaca, never faux fur, it would burn. Blow drying also works well to straighten mohair and make it go in the direction you want it to go. Just dampen and brush as you dry.

I removed the blog. Sadly someone decided to use the tutorials and my work in progress photos to create a bear that I had to look twice at because I thought it was mine. I cannot police the internet. It was a huge disappointment to see this happen after all these years.

desertmountainbear wrote:

I use a small portable iron, I drag it across the fur. I would only do this with mohair or alpaca, never faux fur, it would burn. Blow drying also works well to straighten mohair and make it go in the direction you want it to go. Just dampen and brush as you dry.

I removed the blog. Sadly someone decided to use the tutorials and my work in progress photos to create a bear that I had to look twice at because I thought it was mine. I cannot police the internet. It was a huge disappointment to see this happen after all these years.

Thank you, that's a good tip!

That's a real shame to hear. I'm sorry somebody did that with your tutorials.

Board footer