Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Ms. Demise Posts: 3

Hello! I am new to the forum and to making teddy bears. I have purchased a pattern for those with some expertise. I don’t think I have enough, so hopefully I will not embarrass myself with a silly question. The pattern states it is given “1:1 and does not include seam allowance.” A 5mm seam allowance is recommended. Does that mean to add 5mm to each seam or does that mean to sew in 5mm from the raw edge. The pattern is for a Panda and calls for an eye cut out. I can’t figure out how to add the seam allowance for this part as it makes the eye hole smaller. It also changes the depth of notches throughout the pattern. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

To me, it sounds as if you need to add the seam allowance when you cut out the pattern.  If you add the seam allowance to the eye hole pattern piece, it shouldn't make the hole smaller . . . after sewing it, the hole should be the same size as the pattern is without the added seam.  I hope that makes sense.

Thank you Sue Ann,
It does make sense. What is throwing me off is the eye hole is like a piece cut out of the face beside the nose. I have never seen an odd shaped cut on a seam attached to the gusset. Have you made a bear where. The face is multiple colors?
Thanks~Sam

JulieK Suffolk

If the seam allowance is not included you need to add it when cutting and stitch down the drawn line on the pattern, it may not look a lot but can effect the shape of the paws and narrower parts of the head. I have just made this mistake and now the edges of my paws fold upwards as the height of the toe was no longer deep enough :-/

If the seam allowance is included you cut on the pattern line and stitch inside it.

Happy stitching bear_original

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89
Ms. Demise wrote:

Thank you Sue Ann,
It does make sense. What is throwing me off is the eye hole is like a piece cut out of the face beside the nose. I have never seen an odd shaped cut on a seam attached to the gusset. Have you made a bear where. The face is multiple colors?
Thanks~Sam

I've made faces that are multiple colors. Can you post a picture of that part of the pattern?

Here is the pattern piece, the original and one with added seam allowance. What is confusing me is what do I do around the eye area.

The eye cut out is what is throwing me off. I am not sure where to add the seam allowance.

Head shot

Board footer