Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Beginnersmind Posts: 3

Not a making question, but I think a new to me bear might have/had moths or carpet beetles, or...? What can I do to make sure I don’t get an infestation? He is in a plastic bag right now till I figure out what to do about possible hitch hikers.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You could put the bagged bear in the freezer for a few days and that should do the trick.

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

SueAnn has the right idea! A totally green chemical free way to clear up the problem.   bear_thumb

Thanks! That sounds easy! Will do!

Have you ever needed to do that to a vintage or antique bear?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

No, I haven't, but I've seen several questions related to insects in old bears and the usual answer to get rid of them is put the bear in a freezer for several days.  And the suggestions came from knowledgeable, long-time bear artists, so I assume it is at least something to try.

Good to get some validation that the freezer can do the job! I also don’t feel so weird having a freezer full of teddy bears! Lol! Thanks!

Tony Furleigh Bears.
Trowbridge

Works a treat. A few years back I happened to come across an old bear very cheaply with moth problems. Popped her in a bag and in the freezer she went. Most amusing for the rest of the family as the talk of the body in the freezer of a frozen teddy bear circulated amongst family and friends. It done the job nicely, and stopped the infestation after a few days. Just to make sure she went back to the freezer a couple of weeks later. The quicker you can catch insects the better otherwise its ragged paw pads, sawdust  and a summer bear (without a fur coat).

Board footer