Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, I need to have some good lighting in my sewing room (a large bedroom, faces north, three windows but no really good light!). Right now I have tasks lamps with goose necks on my two work tables and am using the 'natural light' kind of bulbs in them. Also have two floor lamps in opposite corners. I have to have ALL of the lights in my room on in order to really see. And I do NOT have any eye problems!!!!!

I've thought about track lighting or recessed lights (will either create a lot of shadows?) but thought I'd ask you all in the event you've found lighting that really works for you.

Thank you!
Daphne in the Dark.... literally!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hiya, Daphne.  I sit in front of three windows facing north in a big area that was meant to be a rec room.  The windows where I sit form a sort of big bay window and the area is like a small alcove which has a strip of low ceiling.  On that narrow overhang, I've put up a long florescent light.  Right next to my sewing machine I have an Ott floor lamp (wonderful!!).  Combined with the two ceiling light fixtures in the room, it provides nice lighting.  You might want to hang on to your desk lamps for further lighting, but I truly don't know how I got along without my Ott light.  I got it only about 2 years ago and I LOVE it.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Daphne,

I'll second Sue Ann's remark about the Ott light.  I purchased the portable table Ott light when it was on sale at Jo Ann Fabrics and I just love it!

I can sit and sew under this light and not get tired eyes or see "stars" from the usual bright lights I had used before.  And what's even better, when I have to match felt to mohair or thread to whatever I'm sewing, I put them under the Ott light and see right away if there's a match or not.    And the bulbs are suppose to last quite a while.

Wanda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have a table top Ott light as one of my 'task' lights and do love it.... but it doesn't illuminate the WHOLE room! I should mention that I also do one on one workshops in my sewing room so, regardless of time of day, find it helpful to have the whole room lit up. (I want it all, I know!!:rolleyes:)

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

My studio faces south and is practically made out of windows and skylights, which is quite nice in the daytime, except I find I have to cover things to keep them from sun damage.  At night, however, since the room is so large, my table Ott, floor Ott, and swingarm-combo flourescent circle w/incandescent center, plus 5-bulb ceiling chandelier and double flood-light ( the room used to be an outdoor deck)... well, together, they barely do the job.  I do have a 5-halogen-light portable bar that I take to my local show at the fairgrounds.  Maybe using that in addition would help solve my lighting problems.  Thanks for getting me thinking on this.  Daphne, I hope you get your room lit up enough real soon. 

Incidentally, the track lighting came from my local builder's supply store.  It wasn't too expensive.  I think I got the bar and five 75 watt halogen lights for around $50-$60.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I have three of those floor lights that are full spectrum-like OTT-  that way I can put them anywhere, around wherever I am working. 

It is sooooo gloooomy in Oregon in the Winter that we have the lights going all the time.  When I am not sewing I bend them up so they reflect light off the wall or ceiling. 

Can't have enough light!

When the sewing room gets done, (finally) next week-I can hardly wait- I understand I will also get shop-lights above the sewing table.

Not quite as exciting as a yard of Mohair-but I am happy all the same

Dilu  bear_original

Board footer