Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Does any one have any unfinished bears lurking in the closet-In quilting we called them UFOs- and everyone had a quilt that they feel out of love with and hadn't finished.

Does this happen in the bear world?

I haven't finished the Purple Peta Princess yet.....but it hasn't been long enough to count as a UFO, but I did throw a bear out after salvaging the eyes.  There was just something about him that I couldn't get past, and I don't even know what it was.....I know it's awful, but I just couldn't love him, nor could I finish him.

So does any one else want to own up to having a 'bad' bear lurking in their past?

I probably wouldn't have thrown out now, but I have a little more experience now, this bad experience was in the beginning.

Any way- Like we really needed another topic, I just wondered if this was normal or an abberation?

Dilu-  the dreadful bear killer......don't hate me bear_sad

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Di - how DARE you! bear_shocked Just kidding. At least you put that bear out of it's misery. I have one that I haven't finished for quite some time. I don't like how he was looking and saw no sense in finishing him so he sits with an empty belly as I don't have the heart to kill him.  (So I'm starving him instead???!!!) How long does it have to be unfinished before it becomes a UFO in the bear world?

I also have a bear whose head fell off!:o At a show no less... thankfully it was in my hands when it happened! That was in the beginning of my bear career! I've been soooo careful ever since. However, he still hasn't gotten his head reattached... it's sitting in his lap! No, I don't have a dark side!!! Really!!

Now, Dilu... if we were to talk quilts... I have 4 that are soooo close to finished (have been for about a year!)... and one that I'll never finish as I hate it... perhaps I could make a dog blanket out of it? Or tie it up in knots and he can play tug with it! Hmmmm.....

Daphne

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Daphne- I'd see if you could take the quilt you hate and make it into small "bear" quilts for your bears!:)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kirsten,
I do make bear sized quilts. I just don't want to have to work with that ugly thing any more... or look at it! The colors.... ack!!! It's very fru-fru-y and not my bear's style at all... they've told me so!!! It was made in a class I was taking and part of the process was to try working 'outside' our comfort zone, to experiment with new patterns and colors. Well, although a well intended idea, I've learned that's not the way to go for me when it comes to quilts. Bears... yes... they are done in a few days and sold. Quilts.... it's weeks, months (ok, sometimes years) before it's done... ya gotta really love those colors!!!

It was a truly great idea Kirsten!!! Thank you for your thoughtfulness! Would have put that quilt to good use!

Hugs, Daphne

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Hmm.. I think I have two UFOs.. Started on two bears about two years ago.. Or is it three.. And then I lost interest.. Or maybe should say inspiration.. And One is almost finishes.. Just need to fill him up and so.. And the other is a little more to do.. But I have said to myself that I will finish them.. When I have the time.... bear_rolleyes And the one that is almost finished is my first pattern too! So he is all my design..
I was going to make him as a Special course in my school. And when I never finished him, I took another bear I had done, and the pattern for that bear... bear_ermm And it wasnt my pattern... :o
Oh, well. They are in a box somewhere.. But as I said, when I have the time..... bear_rolleyes

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hmmm... how about when you take bear making online courses... but never even get to drawing the bear out on the fabric???  bear_grin:lol:  I still learn a lot though!  I just apply the techniques to my own bears bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I used to have a lot of unfinished quilting projects, large and mini. Just before my daughter's wedding, I made a number of blocks into sofa cushions to go with the denim slipcovers I'd just made. Very nice. I've still got a huge beautiful log-cabin to finish . One day. Maybe. bear_ermm  But I'd rather make bears. Some of my minis will certainly become bear quilts.

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Daphne

The bear with his head in his lap?  Do a tableaux......I see a guillotine
and perhaps a trifold hat with a feather?

dilu-the believer in quick executions and not starving our furry friends-

I still don't like that bear....I think it is because it wasn't my pattern-I had bought it and it wasn't me....or him....

hmmm......

Board footer