Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

First I'd like to say that I'm being a picky fussbudget...

When you sew on your ears do you sew both the outside of the ear AND the inside (cupped part)?

I've been a using a combo of techniques I learned from Shelli & Winney and they work GREAT...but I'm wondering if it would be neater to also sew the inside...

Shantell

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Yes I do.
I found that if I didn't sew the front too if the was folded back it show the bottom of the (maybe I sew it wrong) so I sew along the front too. I tend to ladder stitch my ears on.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I also sew both sides, I find I have more control that way.
Also, that way I don't close up the opening I used to turn the ear. I just sew both parts to the head.

Anything to save time..

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

As you know, I sew only the backside, with a wickedly tight ladder stitch that I take thru the back AND Front layers and pull down hard.  First, tho, I tack the ears on in at least three places (both ends and the middle), but preferably, five (both ends, middle, and the points in between.  I find this gives me great control and that I can visualize whether the ears will be even before I stitch them down hard.  Because of the size and the mohair types I use I don't generally see any kind of ear edging sticking out on the inside, and I also shade the inner ears fairly darkly so it would be covered by the shading anyway.  But for different types of mohair and sizing this may not be as "neat" a finish.

I'm glad something I shared has been of help, Shantell!

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Hi Shantell

I sew front and back.  I usually machine sew the ear pieces leaving the bottom completely open.  Then I pin them to the head anchoring them in 3 or 4 places with bobble headed pins or large T pins depending on the size of the bear.  Then I start at the bottom of the ear and work my way up the back with ladder stitch, as I turn the corner and start on the front I poke the corner of the ear inside the ladder stitches with an awl and pull hard on the stitches.  When I get about half way down the inner ear (always making the stitches in the ear piece slightly larger than those going into the head) I push the needle through to the back of the ear, take a small stitch and come back through to the front of the ear and work my way down to the bottom corner.  Again as I round the corner I poke in any offending corner pieces.  I then stitch about half way up the back again, tie it off and sink the knot into the seam with the needle coming out somewhere on the front of the head.  I'm not sure if that makes sense?

Willamette Valley Oregon
Shelli wrote:

I'm glad something I shared has been of help, Shantell!

Something HA...more like some thingS (plural).  I only wish I could put everything you so generously share to good use.

:hug:

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I ladder stitch all the way around as well.  It seems to really bond the ear to the head in the most invisible and secure way I've found yet.

Cheers,
Kelly

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Yes I ladder stitch front and back......

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am a little confused  bear_ermm   do you gals take your ear and hold together the two bottom flaps (front and back) and sew them on at the same time? of do you do the whole way around thing?  I cannot for the life of me geat a real curve to my ears... even though I pin them down, they dont end up getting the cupped shape I would like ...  bear_sad

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

When I hand sew, I sew both sides.  I assume it would be the same on a machine.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks everyone...I think I'll try sewing around the ear.  Mine don't "look" bad I just can feel the edge and dont' like it much so wondered if there was a neater way.

bear_thumb

Kim,

I don't pin my ears down...I place my pins in the head where I want the ears to go (measuring, adjusting etc before hand)...then I tack each edge and the center...sometimes in between like Shelli mentioned...take a looksy to see if I like how they look...then sew them down with a ladder stitch.  Now I'm just adding sewing the inner ear down as well for what I hope is a neater look and FEEL.

Here's the link for the wonderful directions that I use from Shelli & Winney...

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=1028

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I machine my ear pieces first, leaving a gap to turn them... once they are turned in the right way, I then use ladder stitch to close the opening.  Then I pin them onto the head and ladder stitch right round front and back.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I ladder stich front and back as well.  bear_smile

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I leave the flat edge of the ear where I've turned open.
To decide on placement I put a pin in both corners of the ears and play around till I have them where I like them.
Then I place pins into the head only at the corners of the ears where they'll be attached. The ears won't stay pinned once I start sewing them on but these pins just in the head will stay put for a guide.

I ladder stitch all the way around starting with the front so I can get the cup shape I want. Once I've ladder stitched the front I fold the ear down towards the nose and pull my stitches tight. This ensures that the edge of the fabric will be tucked in nicely. Then I do the back side, being sure I've tucked the corners of the ears in. I then fold the ear back, being sure that the back edge of the fabric is neatly tucked inside and pull my stitches tight.

There are just so many ways.... I've tried quite a few and find this works for me. This is the technique I teach in my workshops and most find it a breeze and fool proof.

Daphne

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I pretty much do what Vicky does...I machine them first then pin to mark the spot..then I sew front and back with a tight ladder stitch turning the raw edge under as I go....and because I hate it so much, when I do a fair ,I usually have a whole afternoon full of ears to sew because I am very bad at leaving them pinned on till I feel like doing it.

I do find though when I have a lot to do I get faster and better as I go along... that's my excuse and I am sticking to it...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha, Jenny!  bear_tongue  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Erin, you are so silly!

I pin the top corner of the ear in place, then 'cup' the ear or sort of form it into a 'C'. I then place a pin in the middle of the 'C' (in the curve where it goes furthest back) then I pin the lower corner down... usually lined up with the top of the ear. So if you were to just look at the pins in the head and draw straight lines from one to the next to the next you'd form a triangle. When sewing I sew the front side on first and just keep a curve to the stitches aiming from one ear corner pin to the middle pin and back around to the other corner pin.

Gosh, does that make any sense??? It's so much easier to SHOW you!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

It depends on the ears.
For my bear ears I ladder stitch the bottom closed then just start sewing them to the head with a nice tight ladder stitch.
When I do acrylics I leave the bottom open and stitch the front then go back and attach the front.
But I never leave an edge unattached.

My rabbit ears are another matter. All of those are sewn in the seams, as I wired them.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I do as Paula does Ladder stitch the opening on the ear closed and then ladder stitch to the head.
I will also when the ears are attached sink new thread and sculpt my ears into position. I can get lovely curves that way.

I have also at times folded my finished ears in half and ladder stitched the bottom two sides together and then ladder stitched them to the head.

Bunny ears I wire up and joint  them in the head. ...........hope I have'nt confused things.    bear_thumb  Matilda

Deb Upstate New York

Good topic! 

Erin ~ San Diego?  I LOVE San Diego.  Have been to several conferences there, and one coming up in 2007.  We always look forward to SD.
bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

MATILDA.........

Is that a platypus????????? Your avatar is amazing!!!!! Can you post a bigger picture? I'm so impressed!!
(Updated to say that I guess I've been in some other world. I visited your webpage and read all about him. As he was a swap I'm sure you posted his photo elsewhere here and I missed it. Sorry! He's so cute!!)
And about jointing ears to the head.... you don't mean like bolt and disc joint, do you????

Erin.....

I'll be right over, got to stop and pick up Deb first!

Board footer