Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Marie,

The contest that I referred to has nothing to do with bears or critters.  Besides bears, I also do a lot of cooking.  I have worked in the past at summer camps as head cook.  Try cooking for 350 teenagers, 3 meals a day.  WOW!  The boys would converge on the cafeteria like a plague of locusts.  After meals I had to count the pans, plates and even fingers to see if any were missing.  I also have cooked for weddings and parties.  So the contest was a baking contest.  Now I did enter a bear in the fair and he took a blue ribbon.  I also put a bear in the fair last year and he did not win because they did not believe that I had made him.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Millie, Waooooooo bear_laugh You are so cool, I admire the person who can COOK
and you can cook for weddings and parties too !? How lucky the student who had
the chance to eat your meal...
I am so sorry for my self now that I'm not your neighbor...... boo hoo.
I've going to the cooking school for 2years but still not good enough :(
My I call you chef Millie ? I just hope if I can see the delicious picture.....:P

Congratulation for the blue ribbon award (am I 2years late to say this ?)
I love your sweet bears !

Bear Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Millie, when we all get together, I'll be your souchef--though I've certainly never won any prizes for my cooking!:/

The sad story of your bear reminds me of what happened to my daughter Caroline in Grade 2. She was born cooking. By age 6 she was turning out cookies and cakes of very high quality. Her school ran a baking contest for kids. Caroline submitted cupcakes decorated with very professional-looking icing roses and other flowers, including leaves with veins! Every other child won a prize of some sort--their efforts were charming, but . . .
Caroline was crushed, of course. The VP told me that none of the judges believed Caroline had made the cupcakes!

Boy, did I ever let that woman have it. :mad:

Eileen

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan
Eileen wrote:

VP told me that none of the judges believed Caroline had made the cupcakes!

That is not fair !!!!! That happened to me when I was 8years old. I have made fabulous bunny out of stone(I just
put pink tissue paper around stone and add ears and paint the face) for the stone-art contest in school but non of the teacher believe that was made by me. and..I never forget that day! bear_angry I am so sorry for Caroline, but
Caroline was over I mean way over qualified at the contest. I'm sure Caroline will get award in future so I hope she continue her cooking. bear_original

Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh boy Eileen, that is just terrible!!  You sound like my Mum.  She's a protective lioness LOL If anyone hurts her kiddies, she'll come out fighting! Even now, when I'm 24 LOL!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Better Believe It!! bear_laugh

My kiddies are now 22, 25 and 27 and I feel just as your mom does. Good thing we no longer know about everything that goes on!!

They don't always appreciate the protection. I was once walking a group of kids to the library when a car failed to stop at a crosswalk. I just about ripped the guy's face off, verbally speaking. One of the little girls turned to another and said, "I don't care. She's not MY mom".

Eileen

Ohio

When they questioned my bear, I wasn't upset too much.  I took it as a compliment that it was so good they couldn't believe it was hand made.  I didn't lose any sleep over it.  As far as our children go, if parents don't protect them who will?

Marie,
If you were my neighbor, we would probably get fat from sitting around eating and making bears.  We would have to take time out to go for a long walk.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

You're absolutely right, Millie. That's exactly the attitude I tried to instill into my daughter, without making her scornful of others' efforts or overly proud of hers. She realized that considering her skills, she'd just entered the wrong sort of competition!

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You gals are GREAT moms!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Yes, All of you are great mom :D:D

Millie,   long walk !? Ok ! No problem  bear_tongue he he

Hugs/Marie

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Good point Girls. My boys are 30, 29 and 27. I love them dearly. It was never an easy task however to be their Mom. But I am proud of them all. Two are married and I am trying desperatly to find a great woman for the youngest one. (Trying to get him to move out) Anyway he is a handsome devil but just has no interst in a steady at this time. I have 5 wonderful grand kids though!!!.

Hugs Louise

Australia

Hi Louise,

I'm guessing Australia is far to way away, because I could be your son's perfect match LOL

Hey someone who understands bear making would be perfect.. he doesn't mind your bear making does he?? LOL

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

What's this, Louise? An unattached male from a bear-making family!!??  bear_laugh I've got a lovely 22-year-old daughter to marry off, also at home. Of course, I was going to hold out for a vet . . .

They say there's a special place in heaven for mothers of 3 boys, you know!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow Louise, a handsome unattached male...does he have a passport? I have a beautiful unattached 23 year old daughter. She cooks, cleans is tidy and extreamly clever and she is studying to be a doctor.

Jane.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Gosh Jane...you look far too young to have a 23 year old daughter!
I really LOVED all those photos of everyone...it's just extra special being able to visualize you all when you post. All except for scaredy cats like DANNI of course...heehee!:P

Ohio

I might as well jump in on this.  I have a single daughter (soon to be 22) at home.  I don't really mind her staying here though.  She has never given us any trouble.  She has had only one boyfriend and she quickly discovered what a loser he was.  She is very particular about guys, and I think that is good.  I heard someone say "I would rather live single the rest of my life than to live the rest of my life wishing I was." 

Marie,

I don't mind walking.  I'll meet you half way.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Boy, I sure am behind reading this thread!

Millie, that's awesome that you won a baking contest ....I would be happy just not to burn dinner!:lol:

Since you ladies were discussing marrying off your offspring I thought I would share a pic of my zaney trio!   My son will be ready for marriage in about 20 years.
KIDS_RESZ.jpg

Shelli send some pixie dust my way too!  I have two bears that live in Japan but I really just want to give Marie a hug in person;)

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Judi!!!  Love your kids!!! 

Well, off to bake my daughter's birthday cake before it gets hot... she's 17 today :D

Edited to add...

This cake is from a box  mix LOL!  (although the buttercream frosting is home made (not hard though)!  I really do NOT like to cook... but she loves this cake bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lovely, lovely children, Judi.  The two younger ones look just like you and the older one must look more like her dad!!  Very precious!  Now, does anyone have any single sons that I could fix up my single, never-been-married, soon-to-be 39-year-old daughter with????  Amazing, isn't it??!!  bear_ermm  bear_tongue

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Judi! You have the most wonderful and beautiful children!

Also to answer you other ladies. ...Sorry he is a Journeyman Plumber not a Vet! Not to brag but I always get the most wonderful compliments on my boys and how handsome they are. (I wonder if it is because they take a look at us and wonder how that could be!)

Darcy, the youngest, the one I'm talking about, the plumber was approached to model and he thought that was just a hoot!. Dont get me wrong he has just been back home for a month or 2 as he was working in the arctic and we told him not to waste money on a place to rent when he would never be there.

He should be out by the end of July. Gosh! look at me... I'm defending him as though I were trying to marry him off or something:o:o

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Awwwww Judi your children are beautiful! Now I see where you get all the inspiration for the lovely faces on your bears. I love kids hence me having five of my own. They are all grown up now....
Hayley you are so sweet you have a friend here who's sending you a huge big hug bear_original bear_original bear_original bear_original  bear_original
You said I don't look old enough to have a 23 year old daughter, well my kids are David 20, Sarah 23, Simon 26, Eve 28 and Mark 35 next month. Thanks for the big, big compliment you lovely girl!!!!!!!!!

Jane.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you ladies!!

Louise, I think you need to share some photos of your delicious offspring.....inquiring eyes want to see.  :D:D:D

oh I do love photos!!!!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Judi - You look like your bears, but your KIDS really look like your bears!! bear_laugh

Australia

LOL I'm with Kirsten, they do look like your bears Judi!

Yes, I'm chicken, what can I say? I'm not as gorgeous as the ladies here!

Danni

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sue Ann,
I have a single brother who is turning 40 this year and rather depressed that Miss Right hasn't come his way yet. He has buried himself away in Papua New Guinea though...so I guess he'll end up marrying over there if he ever does!

Board footer