Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

After reading through the messages I've gathered that some of you are somewhat partial to the brown nectar so I am posting this for you. It is a recipe for the most delectable, moist, scrumptious, yummy chocolate cake!
You will have to convert the measurements to suit you USA girls but don't let it put you off...this is chocolate heaven!

Ultimate Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
200g/ 8oz good-quality dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
200g/ 8oz butter, cut into pieces
I tbsp instant coffee granules
85g/ 3oz self-raising flour
85g/ 3oz plain flour
¼ tsp bicarbonate of sugar
200g/ 7oz light muscovado sugar
200g/ 7oz golden caster sugar
25g/ 1oz cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
75ml buttermilk (5tbsp)
Grated chocolate curls to decorate
FOR THE GANACHE
200g/ 8oz good-quality dark chocolate
284ml carton double cream
2tbsp golden caster sugar

Method
1.    Butter two 20cm round sandwich cake tins and line the bases. Preheat the oven to fan 140C/ conventional 160C/ gas 3. Break the chocolate in pieces into a medium, heavy-based pan. Tip in the butter, then mix the coffee granules into 125ml/4fl oz cold water and pour into the pan. Warm through over a low heat just until everything is melted – don’t overheat.
2.    While the chocolate is melting, mix the two flours, bicarbonate of soda, sugars and cocoa in a big bowl mixing with your hands to get rid of any lumps. Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the buttermilk.
3.    Now pour the melted chocolate mixture and the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until everything is well blended and you have smooth, quite runny consistency. Pour this into the tins (any surplus can be baked as muffins – just reduce the cooking time) and bake for 1 hour 25 – 1 hour 30 minutes – if you push a skewer through the centre it should come out clean and the top should feel firm (don’t worry if it cracks a bit). Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4.    Make the ganache: chop the chocolate into small pieces and tip into a bowl. Pour the cream into a pan, add the sugar, then heat until it is about to boil. Take off the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
5.    Sandwich the cake layers together with a little of the ganache. Pour the rest over the cake letting it fall down the sides and smoothing to cover with a palette knife. Decorate with grated chocolate or a pile of chocolate curls. This cake keeps moist and gooey for 3-4 days.

I don't usually eat chocolate cake but this one broke the mold and now I can be caught in the kitchen with sticky paws.
BIG TIP: Keep away from the bears they will gobble it all up and who's going to buy gooey teddies anyhow!

No seriously don't get any near your teddies as this will cling tight and have you noshing on the mohair to get every drop of chocolate as every bit is to be savoured and devoured. bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thank you Jane bear_laugh I'm always looking for another ultimate chocolate cake!!

Ganache is the taste of Heaven . . .

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awecome Jane. You know me and chocolate! I love to bake but Garnet is very rarely home these days. I will give this wonderful cake a try. Thank you!

Hugs Louise

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

MMMMMM!!!! Jane, you made me hungry for chocolate, so I fished out the chocolate bar I was holding onto for a grab-bag gift for the N.Cal, S.Ore Teddy Meet on Friday!....All Gone!!!! :o:lol:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh, Jane, I gained 20 lbs. just reading the recipe!!  Wow - that cake sounds like "death by chocolate" . . . and I'd die a happy camper!  Thanks, oodles, for the recipe! bear_grin bear_grin

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Jane,
Thank you for recipe of
*Ultimate Chocolate Cake!*
I love Chocolate cake very much :D
Measurements are ok for Japan too so
I would love to start cooking!
However sad story is I'm on diet now so
I can have only small bide.... bear_sad

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh sounds Delish! Almost sounds like an Aussie Mud cake

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Ooh!  Aussie Mud cake.  Sounds downright sensual.  Got the recipe? :D:cool:

Australia

Uh yeah, somewhere! I shall find it and send it to you.  It's a heavy chocolate cake. totally decadent!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

O MY WORD JANE - i shall try this recipe and if i get even fatter than i am now i shall blame it on you :D

Penny bear_tongue

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks Penny! My husband has often said he was slim until I started feeding him and he doesn't even eat cake. bear_laugh
For all you chocolate lovers here is what my friend's daughter does first she gets a huge bar of Cadbury's chocolate melts it down in the microwave, then she proceeds to eat it with........ chips!
For you girls over the pond that is thick cut potatoes deep fried in oil, not what we call crisps. The more sane of use eat chips with fish, not this girl and she's a slim size 10 which is around a size 6 in the USA sizes. I can't stand the girl............................no she's lovely really, I am just so jealous that she can eat like that and stay so skinny.

Now about that Aussie Mud cake, please post the recipe for us all to have. I fancy making one for the weekend. That's if this wretched hot weather cools down a little.

Jane

Australia

RE: Chocolate Mud Cake reciepe.  A couple of hints, while the cake is cooling in it's tin, cover the top with a teatowel so the cake sweats - it makes a much more muddier cake.  The cake also goes well in the fridge overnight.

As for icing, I usually make a Ganache which is the same quantities of thickened cream and cooking chocolate (milk or dark).  Put into the microwave together until the chocolate has melted.

Very popular with Aussie cake decorators because it holds up well to our heavy fondant covered, heavy icing flowers...

Okay Girls, here it is:

200 g butter
200 g  Cooking Chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup hot water
2 Tbsp Instant Coffee
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup  Cocoa
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Method

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 24cm springform pan.
   2. Place first five ingredients in pan, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth, cool.
   3. Fold in sifted flours, NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa and eggs.  Pour mixture into prepared pan.
   4. Bake for 1 hour until cooked, cool completely in pan before turning out.  If desired, dust with cocoa.

Board footer