Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Thanks to dear Sue Ann, I work with hair conditioner for several weeks now. I just wanted to share some other things I found that can be done with that product :
* it's a fantastic color blender ! With hair conditioner, you can work with all types of color pencils : the pigments will be really smouther, won't fade with the time, and will blend perfectly !
* so, it can be used to make aged dicolored part : if you put a big amount of hair conditioner moss on a point of a part you have colored before (with any method : I've tried with acrylic paint, copic pens, inks and color pencils)  you can obltain a light spot.
* it gently smooths the black wax and makes it shine (if used as a latest step). It's not very impressive, but it's noticeable.
* because of the resin it contains, it can be used to hardened a part : I've found that the pawpads of the bear on which I have made lots of experiments have hardened as I have put a big amount of hair conditioner on them.

For the copic colorless blender :
* it can dissolve the black wax and can perfectly blend the black pigment of the wax around a nose (and that's really great in my opinion) (it doesn't seem to hurt the pen).
* it can blend even color pencils, and even getting rid of the pigment of the color pencils if you think you have made a mistake.

That's all :).
I think I have just created the wheel again, but maybe it can help :).

Lots of bear hugs, dear friends,
Marion

PS : I've seen all that marvellous bears and friends for the TOBY awards : I'm so impressed ! Good luck to you all !
I have not the time to write much here for the moment, but I miss you all, dear TTalkers bear_wub :hug:.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

We miss you too Marion. :hug:

Thanks for sharing your experiments with us.  I enjoy hearing about new ventures.  I would love to see some photos of your expeiments.

bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Amazing Marion !... I have one question tho.... If the collector decides to spot wash her bear , will that ruin the effects ? If so...is there any way to "set" your artists touches ...like with a spray fixative ?...Winney

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Hugs Judi  :hug:.
For example I've worked again on my little Perceval, experimenting hair conditioner and color blender :
Percevalpetit.jpg
The blendings near the eyes do not show very well on the pictures, but they are not as good as I wanted... But I will experiment again with this method as I don't like real paint and color copic pens very much (maybe I will buy an aerograph some day).

Winney : I'm not sure it can stay on if some soap is used...(I must say that I didn't imagine that someone could try to wash the part near the eyes for Perceval, but I will do something to be sure there will be no problem : thanks so much !:) )  I must experiment more... I was thinking about a coat of fray check  or withe glue dilued with water... I'm not sure it won't alter the colors, though...
I'll tell you the result bear_original.

Hugs friends bear_original.

White City, Oregon

Id try the white glue.mixed 50/ 50 maybe or less glue ....and do 2 coats ?

Fray check can be removed with alcohol (will also remove permanant ink pen ) .

If you dont like paint....I   know that you can add fabric extender in acrylic paint to turn it into more of a stain and make it thin so it dosnt act like paint...so it is not stiff or stiff feeling.  It dosnt come off later because acrylics are so tough but if you get too much color on...before it drys you can get most of it off with water...When dry it is nearly impossible to remove...
I know..I paint with acrylics.. I did an experiment once where I left the globs of paint onto a tupperware  lid I used for a pallett...I left it dry  for a year ! Then I soaked  in hot water and scraped til the cows came home and it just adheared like whatever... I never did get all of it off....
There are some artists that age their bears with all kinds of stuff...like sooty fireplace ashes to make him look real worn...so whatever you want that works for the effect you want to get is worth exploring.... Winney

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you Marion for sharing your results!

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

We may have this product in the UK but I dont recognise it, can you tell me what is fabric extender? I use acrylics for lots of things and am always looking out for new mediums to use them with especially on fabrics

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Fabric extender ? Sounds great !
Thanks Winney, I will do some research ! :hug:  :hug:

Todmorden West Yorkshire

I think I may have found it, is this the right thing
http://www.dala.co.za/craft.asp?id=30

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Looking forward to your further reseach Marion. Always eager to learn new ways. bear_thumb Matilda

White City, Oregon

Estelle and Marion... Yes I believe thats the stuff. Each brand seems to make their own but its all basically the same clear stuff you  mix with acrylic paint....to extend ( stretch, thin ) the color out....
You CAN mix water with your acrylics to  make a stain or watercolor effect but the extender medium has polymers in it so it keeps the integrity of the " bonding " ability of acrylics.
You may be able to find more of a description on-line for acrylics brands that you may find in your neck of the woods... or go to you rlocal raft store and pick a brand then read the back of the bottle , or maybe the store has a flyer by the product you can read...Winney

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Winney I shall deffinately try it, I do like my acrylics and taht sounds just the job  bear_thumb

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Thanks a lot ! I will buy some ! bear_wub

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

OK, the glue isn't wet any more : it seems to be ok. I tried to pick off the color with a cotton and water, and even with a little amount of hair conditioner :D... No problem, I think (and hope).
:)
Hugs,
Marion  :hug:

Board footer