Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

What do ya'll do when you have bears to make and your wrists hurt so bad you cant even cut it out? Man my left wrist is killing me, I am left handed. I have the braces that you are suppose to wear for this, but there is no mobility at all with them. It is almost impossible to work with these on.
I was just wondering if any of you might have some advice  :pray:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Are you getting carpal tunnel syndrome??  I don't have a problem with my wrists, so can't advise you.  Daphne had surgery on her hand . . . hope you don't have to do the same.  My hands are arthritic, so guess it's only a matter of time when I'll have to stop .... boohoo!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I use Ben Gay, And 800 Motrin.  Try Icing it for twenty minutes to with ice pack. I hurt my elbow on my last job and have tendonitis. You might consider taking a break from the bear making for a couple weeks if you can stand it. I would see a dr. sounds like y ou have serious carpal tunnel.
Kathy

Odessa, Tx

Hi Sue Ann,
Yeppers, I am pretty sure that is what the problem is. I use to work as a hairdresser in Colorado. Thats when it started. Ya know what, I bet that is probably the reason why it is so painful when I use the scissors.  bear_ermm
I imagine that there is a bit of "ol arthur" in my hands too.

Odessa, Tx

Hi Kathy,
Ooo! Ice pack sound really nice right now.  bear_thumb  Now where did I put my ice bag?  bear_happy
Thanks for the advice  bear_flower  bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Try rubbing arnica gel or oil on what ever hurts.  It won't hurt you but it really helps me.  There are also pills you can take and then there are the leaves and flowers for making tea.  I would put it on about 10-15 minutes before you are going to do something that you know will cause you pain.  It may get you through the cutting before the pain becomes a problem.   Is there anyone close by that could do the cutting for you?
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Roxanne,
     I've been there - that's why I stopped doing shows.  Have you had the shocks up your arm yet?  Man, they hurt, and on top of that you drop things!    Anyway,  I had major problems with my right wrist with Carpel Tunnel  and a tendon in my left thumb.   I have two braces and what I did was wear one at night on one wrist and then alternate them at next night on the other wrist.    It did help as each wrist got some relief alternately.   I also tried to wear the one on my right wrist, when I wasn't sewing, as much as possible.   I used a lot of analgesic creams and advil.  I'm going to go to the Canbears group site that I belong to.  There was a major post about carpel tunnel there I remember and I'll see if I can find it.  I'll post if if I do.  You really have to try and look after it, or it will only get worse.  When I was doing a show, a few years ago, I did ignore it and it got so bad that I couldn't even cut up my food with a knife and fork!  I don't have any problems any more, so if you are vigilent about trying to baby them, they will get better, I think.

Hugs,

Brenda

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Sorry Roxanne.  I'm an expert in this area and I use ice, cool water to dip into and get some relief from any swelling, braces, magnets and also anti inflam gels and creams.  Do you have feldene there? It is wonderful.  Sometimes the cooling ice gels work well.  Other than that just rest and hopefully resting will get you back on track quicker than working through it.  Maybe your doc can prescribe you something? 
Oh, also, work little bit by little bit and rest lots.  It is frustrating, but you can get more done by taking frequent rest breaks
Hope you feel better soon  bear_flower
Hugs Sarah

Odessa, Tx

Hey Brenda,
Yep, I have the shooting pain up my arm too. I think something else besides the ache, is my hands falling asleep. It actually kinda ticks me off when that happens. I'm working at getting something completed, and I have to keep taking breaks to let my hands hang down at my side to get the blood flowing and the tingling to stop. You mentioned your tendon in your thumb. This sound like myself. You know cutting hair for 10 years, and now with the teddies. I am going to take your advice and wear the brace at night. I know that will help.
Thanks Bren!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Roxanne,
     I sent you a PM with some info and exercises.  Let me know how  you make out.

Hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh Roxanne, you poor thing, I'm sorry!
My hands are pretty messed up from working on dolls, but they are
not to that point yet! I'm sure they will get there!
Gezzzzzzzzzz you use to be a hairdresser?

Wish you were still in colorado, I 'm having trouble finding the
right stylist here to cut my hair.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Roxanne, this might be an obvious question, but are you using the spring-loaded scissors... like the ones by Fiskars?  They make cutting so much easier because you only have to close them; they open on their own by spring action.

Some years ago, after two pregnancies, I used to suffer tendinitis, but not carpal tunnel type; it was called deCuervain's and involved the thumb thru the wrist, along the inner aspect of my right hand.  That hand became permanently locked at an odd angle; I couldn't cut with a knife and fork (someone else said that, too, about carpal tunnel.)  I also had the dead numbness and the shooting, shocking pains.  Plus, my wrist would lock, then CLICK with a quick jerk, into place; the suspicion was that there were some adhesions or scar tissues grabbing the tendon and keeping it from moving with fluidity.  Long story -- long (typical, Shel) -- after lots of hand therapy, and years of cortisone injections, we finally just up and did the surgery thing.  It was an in-office procedure, left a one inch scar, and I've been trouble free ever since, without batting an eyelash.  It's not the very same thing as carpal tunnel, but I tell ya, just taking the plunge and having that tendon sheath cut open to free the dang tendon was the smartest thing I ever did.  So if it's been a decade-old problem, you might consider it, if insurance/etc. line up in your favor.  My recovery was very quick and I remember only day two being particularly difficult, with a few tears.  But I didn't even wear a brace for a full week after that!  It was just a complete cure for me.

I am sorry to hear you're suffering with it, and hope you can find someone to help with the mundane cutting task.  It's hard to give that one over because one false snip and BLAST IT ALL, there goes the mohair; you can't use it because the fur is lopped off!  But if it saves your wrists for other tasks, it might be a worthwhile risk.

Good luck to you!

PS  A bag of frozen corn or peas makes a wonderful ice pack, very formfitting to any contour.  Make sure to toss it, or mark it INEDIBLE, f you plan to reuse it as an ice pack after thawing, though!

:)

PPS  Daphne, how is your recovery going???

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Roxanne...You poor thing!! I have have a big ganglion cyst on my wrist...which is the result of 30 years cutting folks's hair.... Occasionally it gets a bit sore and I take an anti-inflammatory which seems to do the trick.  My mother says I should whack it with the Bible which is an old wives tale..
I did get carpal tunnel syndrome when I was pregnant...but it went quite quckly and didn't come back..however my brother had it ( not when he was pregnant!!)and they operated on him..and he's never had it since.

Deb Upstate New York

Wonderful new product out called Biofreeze.  Fabulous.  I picked up a tube at the chiropractor's office.

http://www.biofreeze.com/

I would be inclined to run those symptoms by your doc, especially having also done hair previously.  And yes, by all means use the spring-loaded scissors.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Been there, got the shirt ~ and its why I got retired from dog grooming at age 29  bear_cry .  Only mine's backwards to tunnel carpal...I think it was called tunnel gravois (involves the pinkie and ring finger) because I don't seem to use scissors like normal people  bear_whistle

Longer story short...went through the braces, yadda yadda yadda, refused point blank to do the surgery because the surgeons in my area had a reputation for making people lose 80% of their hand motion!  And instead went to a dear ole chiropractor.  He never even bothered to look at my wrist....said it was all from an impinged shoulder, and went to work.  Every week for about two months, I went in and Doc Marsh snicked my back in place.  At first the pain relief wasn't there....and I was quickly running out of pain med options having lived on Excedrins for years.  But within two weeks I was able to begin weaning myself from the excedrins.  Within two months I totally had my hand back.  And now years later I can still use my right hand without having the surgery.

Since I practice shiatsu (a form of acupressure) I also look for adhesions on the tendons at the wrist, elbow and between the shoulder blade and spine.  If you have access to a shiatsu massuer...take advantage of it!  I've also gone to a fellow who uses mostly cross fibre to break up the adhesions.  It hurts like the dickens, but it works.  I don't think I've moved that fluid, even when I was a child....and I felt like I floated, or glided for days afterwards.  Naughty me, I haven't kept up with the stretches he advised, so I need to go back....but he's clear across the state, down in West Plains, MO. 

Long n short: Ice, arnica (miracle stuffs!), emu oil also works great for pain control, and either look into surgery options, or look into chiropractic/physical therapy.  I always use my spring loaded Fiskars for cutting, and I swear if I'd had them for dog grooming, I probably would have lasted longer.  You can also do exercises to stengthen your hand going the other way (put all your fingers and thumb into a 'point', then slip a big broccoli rubber band over them.  Now try to open and close the thumb and fingers, being sure to spread them as you open.  This will help to strengthen the unused muscles on the opposite side of your hand, helping to pull the hand more open, and freeing it up).   

:hug: I do hope you get relief soon, because it just plain hurts!  :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

REST!!!!!  bear_shocked

Odessa, Tx

Gosh! Thank you all so much for such helpful suggestions!  :hug:
I am sure that they will not only help myself, but others that may be reading this with the same problem.
I have doubled up on the advil and wore the brace last night. It was kinda stiff when I took it off this morning, but felt a little better  bear_thumb  I went out to my shop and tried to begin working again and had to quit. This really stinks...
I know that I need to see a Dr. about it, but I am afraid that I already know what he will say... snip...snip...
I am such a procrastinator  bear_whistle  I am no way afraid of having surgery done, I just hate not being able to do anything with my hands for a while. But like what Gina said, I am probably doing more damage the longer I wait. I guess I better see what kind of coverage our insurance has for this.
Anywhooo... Thanks again for all the advice gals!
Ya'll are the best!!  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Roxanne, Sorry to hear of your pain.  WHen you mentioned you have tingling and numbeness that is not a circulation issue but rather one that involves the nerves in your hand, arm , and/or shoulder.

Icing sounds like good advice but make sure to wrap the ice bag in a towel first.  Some people find relief by alternating heat with ice.  I hope something works for you so you can continue creating your gorgeous bears. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

You may need to seek medical advice

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Roxanne, I am so sorry to hear of your pain, I hope you get some relief soon :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OOOh I am sorry to hear about this... I had a few coworkers who had the surgery and were a lot better afterwards.. they use to have to wear braces... I guess from over 20 years of being a secretary, things like that will happen (GOSH, I AM DOOMED!)

Hope you feel better  :hug:   My advice would definetly be to see a doctor, don't want to risk any more damage  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Roxanne, do yourself a HUGE favor, and get schedualed with your Doc if you want to go down the surgery route.  It only takes maybe two weeks or so of complete resting for it to heal.  Yes, I know its the end of the world, but if you keep going like you are...you'll end up just like I did back in 2000...with a hand that won't work period. 

I don't mean to be a doomsayer, but your symptoms are exactly like mine were just before I hit a brick wall.  It wasn't permanent damage, but I did have to completely rest my hand...and do absolutely nothing with it.  I HATED  it with a passion, so I understand your frustration.  Get thee to your Doctor so you can get this sorted pronto  :hug:  Besides, you don't want to be in pain when you can get this corrected  :hug:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Lots of good advice...seems that these kinds of medical  problems come with using the hands/wrists repetatively at any kind of work....and women use their hands A LOT in any case as we do the mom things ( hands on ) cook, clean,sew, wssh dry, dishes, split wood if necessary ! Then we make bears or dolls or sculpt for pleasure.

I have a aunt that has artheritius so bad in her jands the best relief she can get is to do the hot wax treatments .

Roxanne..look into getting some electric scissors, I use to have some . When it comes to stuffing ... why not design a bear to use soft stuffing . use that silky stuffing that " " boings " back up ( coated stuffing ) ...and use plastic pellets. for weight...THen alternate tasks and alternate when you  make difrent types of bears. Another tip may be to mark out your bears on the fabric then hire one of your kids to cut them out.....Hope you get better, HUgs, Winney

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

One thing many forget...athlete's warm-up...and stretch...we are athlete's in the respect that we do repetative work for hours on end without warming up or stopping to stretch... I used to work for a beaded clothing designer, doing bead work on leather & suede & I put a stretching diagram on the wall in the bead room. There were a lot less problems with stiffness & soreness after that...also remember your eyes...they get strained doing the kind of work we do...take a few minutes every so often focus on something far away...and there is also the thing you can do to rest your eyes, where you rub your hands together very fast, till you feel heat, and place one hand, sort of cupped over each eyes..making a warm, dark resting place.
That's what I try to remember to do....

Board footer