Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I hope someone here can help.  Another bearmaker and I are having a major difference of opinion as to the Toby Nominations.  She is convinced that anyone who pays their money and sends in their pictures is considered a Toby nominee.  My understanding of it is, that only the ones chosen by the judges get a nomination.  The ones that appear in the magazine for us to vote on are the only ones that are nominees.  Please someone who has entered and or read the rules please end this debate for us.  It has been going on far too long and needs to be cleared up.  I am worried that bears are being misrepresented to collectors as Toby nominees when they are not.
Thanks,
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Donna,
     All entries into the Tobys are just that  - entries.  There are five pieces chosen from each category as nominees for "Teddy Bear of the Year", in their specific category.  Each of these five nominees for each category is actually called an Industry Choice Winner.  The final winner of these 5 nominees is the TOBY winner for their category.   I also believe now that they choose 1 bear from all of these Toby winners as the "Best in Show".  So, you are right - only the 5 chosen in each category are "nominees" for the Toby.  I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Brenda

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Good grief Donna..if it was THAT easy...we'd ALL be TOBY nominees! bear_grin  bear_tongue
Methinks your friend may be wishful thinking! You definitely win on this one! bear_thumb

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Donna -
You are right in this case. If we were considered nominees just by entering there would be tons of us out there.
If your friends still debates this with you tell her to contact Mindy Kinsey, editor of Teddy Bear & Friends. TB&F holds the contest.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Donna!  I think that everyone will confirm your instincts on this one.  In the interst of friendship and "compromise" you might want to mention to her that folks do sometimes say, "This is Teddy Bear X, my 2005 TOBY (or Golden Teddy, or whatever contest..) [u]ENTRY[/u]"  Certainly when folks enter these contests, they tend to put "their best bear forward,"  and "this is my ENTRY" does say to the public that this the the bear I think is my best work of the year, etc.....
I hope you do get this resolved with your friend Donna, fighting is certainly never fun, even when you are right.   Hope it all clears up!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I'm with you and the others on this board on this one!  Entering bears in the competitions does not make you a nominee, being nominated does.  Entering only makes you an entrant.  In the case of the TOBYs, anyone who enters is judged by an industry-represented panel for the Industry Choice awards.   The winners of those are also the nominees for the awards voted on by Joe Q. Public.  This reminds me very much of the argument that buying ad space in a magazine counts as "being published".

My $0.02 anyway,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I ditto what everyone else has said... including Kelly's comment about how buying ad space isn't the same thing as "being published," which is a selection made outside one's own control, and thus, to me anyway, much more of an honor and much more significant (if also far less expensive!)

To reiterate what Brenda wrote...

For the TOBY Awards, sponsored by MEDAVOR MEDIA and TEDDY BEAR & FRIENDS magazine...

There are a handful of nominees for each of about 15 categories.  Those nominees are called the "Industry Choice WINNERS."  Everyone else is just an "entrant."  Those nominees, once determined, are published in a spring/summer issue for public voting, and out of that handful of nominees for each category, ONE is selected, by the public, to be the PUBLIC CHOICE WINNER.  And, as Brenda said, last year they added a new honor... from ALL the categories, the public votes on ONE overall winner, or "Best in Show."

Here are the TOBY winners for 2005 (the nominee list appears to have been taken offline):

http://www.teddybearandfriends.com/arch … ws001.html

And for the Golden Teddy Awards, sponsored by JONES PUBLISHING and TEDDY BEAR REVIEW magazine...

A nominee is a GOLDEN TEDDY NOMINEE.  Those nominees, once determined, are published in a summer/fall issue for public voting, and out of that handful of nominees for each category, ONE is selected, bythe public, to be the GOLDEN TEDDY WINNER.  There are only a handful of nominees in each of about 15 categories.  Everyone else is just an "entrant."

Here are the Golden Teddy nominees and winners for 2005.  http://www.jonespublishing.com/jphome/j … nteddy.asp

Board footer