Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I got inspired to ask this question by a topic on The-Board-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.  It was posed by our newest member Lisa (lbthoms) -- HI LISA!!! -- a bear artist, author, and mom to WAY TOO MANY TINY PEOPLE AT ONE TIME (including twins) who is clearly going to be a great asset to our learning here.  The original question was Lisa's; must give credit where credit is due...!

It presents opportunity for such meaty and worthy discussion I thought I'd bring it over here for TEDDY TALK members to learn from as well.

So the question is...

What tools do you use for WEB DESIGN / PHOTOGRAPHY / PHOTO EDITING?

For me, that looks like this:

WEB DESIGN SOFTWARE

I don't know HTML and didn't have Frontpage so I used a program by Coffee Cup called Visual Site Designer which I grabbed from the bargain bin one day while on my way to the register at Office Depot. It writes code using proprietary language (files are saved as .vnu, not .html) This is bad if you know anything about html and good if you don't. I was able to create my entire website using this program and it functions well for me and, I think anyway, looks very pretty and unique! There is a way to insert html code but it's awkward. I have a friend who was able to view the code behind the drag-and-drop appearance of the page (there isn't, as far as I can tell, a way to view the code from the program; you have to go to your site and "view source" to do so; eek!) She told me the program doesn't actually write in html per se, but rather, seems to use a lot of java script. Whatever THAT means. Anyway, just sharing for those reading the above...

I'm pretty happy with it and don't relish the idea of a new learning curve with Frontpage or Dreamweaver or whatever, but admit that just yesterday I was checking out prices and versions on Google. Frontpage appears to be at version 2003 and costs about $200US. I might go that direction next; it's definitely more flexible.

DIGITAL CAMERA

I use a Nikon CoolPix 5400. If you go to the Bears&Buds article I wrote on "Photographing Teddy: Part Two" you can also learn about the cameras and photo software used by some of the big names in bearmaking.

PHOTO EDITING SOFTWARE

I use Adobe PhotoShop 7.0. You can do amazing things with this program. Anything. I mean it.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK Lisa and Shelli

I use Web Studio 4-  very user friendly and a site can be super simple but as you learn more you can upgrade....I like that aspect.....It doesn't look as 'professional' as yours Shell, but when I get to where I really know what I am doing, and have gone' about as fer as I can go" with Web Studio I will upgrade, Yours sounds pretty neat.  But I haven't really plumbed the depths yet of the one I have....

My digital is a Sony Cybershot 5 mega pixel.....but as with computers this little puppy is out of date....I got it 2 years ago.  But until it no longer functions appropriately I will hang on to it.

I use Paint Shop Photo Album....another very forgiving piece of software that doesn't require me to know what I am doing, because let's face it.....I seldom do!!!:lol::lol:

Isn't it great that there are so many great products out there to help us along this 21 century path.....

But we still have to turn those little arms and legs by hand :P

Dilu:D

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh I use Paint Shop Pro - love the program!!!!  For my web design, I use a program that is so simple, and so easy to use that it's not funny.  It comes attached with the browser, Netscape Communicator, and for anyone who doesn't know how to make a very technically involved webpage, it's wonderful!!!!!!  I am not really a beginner in web design, but I still don't know how to make a fancy webpage, but I'm happy with what I'm able to achieve with the program.

Hope this helps!
Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

When I've managed to make enough bears to post on a website, I'm using my daughter Eleanor--she's a semi-professional designer, and gave me a certificate for a website last Mothers' Day!!!  :D

Eileen

Awww Eileen!

Lucky you....we expect great things from that girl of yours!

Dilu:P

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Danni, what are you talking about !?
your websiet is pretty fancy :D
I hope I can make one like yours!

Hi everyone, I didn't start to creating my
website yet, but I have...
1) Web Software:
   IBM Home page builder V.8
   cost about 10.000YEN( USD 90.00)

2) Dgital Camera:
    Nikon/ Cool Pix 4200

3) Photo software:
   Adobe PhotoShop..but I don't know
   how to use this... oh no-!

Eileen, I'm jealous ! Lucky you :DA

Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL Marie - it's not fancy fancy, but I think it's pretty enough! I'm happy iwth it!

Thanks for your comments though - you are such a sweetie!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Shelli,

I use fireworks (part of the Dreamweaver package I use for my website) for all my photo editing and I have a very reasonably priced digicam ... an Olympus Camedia C350 zoom, which is basic to use but gives lovely pics!  I also use my Canon EOS 500 for stills - that's a more expensive camera, but great for sending pics into magazines.

Paula,

Are you using a new bear for your avatar....He just jumped out at me.....wow...so cute

Dilu

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Dilu,  I designed him a couple of months ago and I'm using him as my avatar because he still makes me smile!  Glad you like him! bear_laugh

Board footer