Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I've been wondering........... bear_rolleyes and I certainly don't want anyone to feel they need to divulge their secret methods bear_rolleyes ......but is anyone out there willing to share how they age their paw pads to make them look antiquey? bear_whistle
I don't mean the soft look...I mean the hard cracked leather with lotsa shading kinda look. I bought one of those mottled but old fashioned looking leather jackets that you can occasionally find in the op shops from a bygone era and that's very antiquey looking....but it's way too soft and a little more mottled looking than what I'm after. I have the perfect mohair for an old worn looking fellow...but the paw pads have gotta look right or the whole thing will be out of wack. bear_wacko
Anyone?? bear_flower

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Haley
I am just finishing an online course on the grizzly bear and the paw pads have been treated to make them look like leather I used wool felt for the pads to start with. I then mixed one part white glue with one part water. This you brush on the pads to saturate them and then let them dry-takes 48 hrs to air dry or 15min using a hair dryer. Once dry you then begin with a thin layer of  varnish ( folk art type ) layer of glue mixture, layer of varnish, layer of glue mixture and final layer of varnish. Again you let this either air dry or use the hair dryer Once dry you can then use your coloured pencils, oils or whatever to add some colour around the edges of the pads. I learned this method from Nancy Tillberg. If you are using a light coloured paw pad material then you may need to use a stain or something to darken it if that is the look you want. Try it on a scrap until you get the look you want
Hope this helps
Hugs
Gail bear_smile  bear_smile  bear_smile

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, Gail... who would have guessed that's how you do it?! Neat!

Could you do something to get an old, sort of cracked appearance in all those layers of varnish and glue?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Gail thank you for sharing that information.....

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Thanks for sharing that Gail....I was thinking no one was going to answer! I may have a go at that method..... never know what may eventuate! You're a treasure! :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Hi Hayley.  I do mine similar to the Nancy Tillberg way . But didnt know it till now. I use the most aged looking leather and or suede to start with and then add watered down craft glue . That also darkens the suede and gives a shiney look. I Then do a varnish .When dry I take a pumice stone to it.  I usually put holes in mine. as a last little touch. I then fill the hole with straw. All depending on how many holes and where ,I may line the base of the paw with straw and then stuff as usual. If you want the cracked leather look, I havent done this but just maybe if you add layers of varnish  until there are enough layers that you could slice through without cut the leather. Or lift the leather off the suede carefully and enhance the split with varnish............just thinking out loud.......Would love to hear what your results and how you went about it.. bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There is a crackle finish that can be found in the chain craft stores . . . Michael's, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby.
I have forgotten the brand name of the stuff I got, but I'll find it and let you know.

Board footer