Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Has anyone read my article on this show, it appears in the February 2006 Issue of Teddy Bear Scene.
Next issue will have my article on the Taiwan show, both shows were in november last year.

My copy arrived today.
bear_original
Lynette

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

YES, I just got it yesterday too, and was flipping thru the pages last night.  You're featured in a photo, dead-center.  I was looking for article credit but didn't see your name on the piece; did I miss it, or did they forget to include it?  Haven't read it entirely yet -- was late when I saw it -- but plan to do so today.

Yay for you!!!!

I"m curious to know how you got so into doing the Asian shows.  They are sooooooooooo far from me and I imagine very expensive to do/attend.  Plus, as much as I love travel to foreign lands, Asia is VERY foreign.  Do you have some level of familiarity with the culture or language such that it had special appeal to you?

Would love to hear the story...!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I'm still waiting for that magazine (and not very patiently I might add!!!!   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin )

The Asian shows are a possibility for me - travel there is far cheaper for us than to the US or UK.  I'd love to go just to see a big overseas show.  I look forward to reading your article Lynette.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Shel, I am mentioned by name in the article. Each show I do, I submit an article and pictures to the magazine which then get published, and have been doing this for some time now. I should also have an article in the USA , Teddy bear & Friends about both Taiwan and the Korean shows.

My first trip to Taiwan was by invitation, and I went over and helped with the show, judging, competition,teaching and in any other way I could. It was my very first time to the East, the show organisers were extremely helpfull and they went out of their way to make my stay the very best.
The show in itself- the 1st one, was covered by so much media , that I felt like a filmstar , with photographers,clicking away and being interviewed every few minutes. An interpreter was on hand all the time, and I even gave a bear making demonstration, which was shown later on local TV. The 2nd show, was very much like the first show.
The collectors market is still growing, so you are not going to attend the show and sell all the bears on your table, but as an experience, to visit , to enjoy the culture, it is something I am pleased I did, and will continue to do as long as I am able to do so, even thou I speak no Chinese at all. Bears speak for you.

The Korean show in Seoul, last year, was the week-end after Taiwan, so when you travel so far, it is worth while to do both shows, again, worth every minute, and again I will repeat the experience. New market, also small market for collectors - but growing. Organisers also extremely helpfull.

Travelling, especially from Africa, is not cheap, the airfare is expensive, and long haul flying is not that great, I am on a frequent flyer program so try and get upgraded when I can, which helps, also I do not stay away for long, most organisers arrange special discount structures with hotels for the shows, this also helps.

Between doing shows in the East and the Western worlds, I am not sure which I prefer, the Eastern artists are extremely friendly, we all exchange small gifts, sweets, tea, etc. Using our hands, our bears, we speak to each other,and being partially deaf I am fine anyway. Western artists, I have made some good friends, maybe I tend to be a bit more of a loner at these shows, so it is a bit difficult to judge, also I do not speak German, although I do understand and can read a bit.

Melissa, if you are able then go, you might not sell all your bears, but the experience will be worth every minute, and if I am at the shows I will help you all the way.
bear_original
Lynette.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

It is soooo intriguing to hear a bear artist that's actually been there, and so interesting to hear your thoughts on the Eastern bear shows, Lynette.   :hug: Thank you for sharing!!!  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Thanks for your story, Lynette on attending the Korean Teddy Bear show - very intersting.
Glad that you were able to get there and meet new people and see Bears at an Eastern show.

Hugs Carolyn

bear_original

Board footer