Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi bear_original .Have you built your website and do you manage it yourself? I bought a softwear to lurning how to built a site because it's annoying me sometimes to depend to someone else to update mine; I have many photos since december wich must be delated, but i have to wait after my webmaster to do it bear_angry Is it hard to built a site? I listed many silk hats on ebay if someone want to take a look. My ID is boulou18pau. bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hello Irene!

Yes, I do my website myself.  I did not want to have to wait for someone to update my site either.  I write the code by hand though. 

I know that Shelli does her own site too.... and she uses a program called Coffee Cup (or something like that).

When you make many one of a kind bears (as opposed to taking orders for limited editions) it is much easier to be able to update your website yourself in my opinion...

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, I designed and update my own, I use Cofffee Cup also.
Great program!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Okay, Tami... you're worlds ahead of me.  Where did you get the forms you use for navigation and mailing list?  I have no idea how to do that.

I like Coffee Cup... for what it is.  One thing I despise about it is that I haven't been able to figure out how to utilize .gif or .png files using it.  It seems to allow only .jpg format files.  AARGH!

It also saves using proprietary code, which no one else can read or use.

The biggest problem if, like me, you hope to GROW your web design skills over time, is that you can't directly view or edit your code.... like you can with almost every other program.

However, what Coffee Cup does BEAUTIFULLY is allow you to create a very pretty, professional looking site with a minimum of time spent on the learning curve.  And that's saying something!  You can get pretty clever, creating backdrops as .jpg files in a photo editing program, and then using them as background on your website, dropping them in easily using the Coffee Cup tools.

I'm ready to move on to the next step, Irene, and would like to design sites for other people as well... but I have a long, long way to go to get there, and lots of learning going on in the process.

For ease of maintainence on my site, tho, I wouldn't trade doing my own site for anything.

I think I didn't help at all; sorry.

bear_sad

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Come to think of it , Tami... I can't get my web pages to scroll, either.  Your pages do.  What's with that????  I get one screen's worth for input, and that's it.  How did you manage that???  I'd love to hear.

I'm using Coffee Cup PERFECT WEBSITE CREATOR.   It was called "Visual Site Designer" on the packaging but it says PERFECT WEBSITE CREATOR on the CD itself.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

http://www.how-to-build-websites.com/lessonOne.htm

HOW TO BUILD WEBSITES... a series of lessons... might be of assistance.  I'm reading it now, myself!

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi Irene,
A site I advise my students to access is
http://www.w3schools.com
it has lessons from beginning upwards - may be of use though I use in in conjunction with my own teaching slides - you are wllcome to my set of basic slides for beginners in html (this would be using direct codes in a web page rather than using a page generator software which has drag and drop  if you want - I can send them in an email attachment - I am not at a very advanced level as I stick to the basic curriculum but I do maintain my own site - I use a free template and then add my own bits
:hug: Anne

Irene Irenours-bears
France

thank you all for the answers bear_wub It say in this software that you don't have to know the HTML language; maybe that way it will ba more easy????? Shelli, how do you design your kind of avatar? What i envie to people in the life is knowlege, any kind or so of knowleges bear_grin the only thing is the fact that i hate to read pages and pages of descriptions; i prefer to have someone who chow me things bear_wacko

Deb Upstate New York
Shelli wrote:

http://www.how-to-build-websites.com/lessonOne.htm

HOW TO BUILD WEBSITES... a series of lessons... might be of assistance.  I'm reading it now, myself!

Bless you for posting this link!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I created my own web site too and have used Microsoft Front Page from the beginning.  I think its wonderful and you can begin small and build as you learn.  I am slowly learning HTML through Front Page although it is not necessary to know a thing about it to build your site.
Happy to help if anyone needs.  It is such a simple program, its basically all there in front of you as you open it up and away you go!
I downloaded a FTP to transfer my site to the web and it works really well too.  I can't remember where I got it from but will let you know when I do.
I use the 5 mega bytes that my internet provider gives free of charge.

When I first began, I used Bravenet and then Yahoo...such a hassle...the way I work now is like childs play compared to those online systems.

Hope this helps some :)
hugs Sarah

Deb Upstate New York

Very nice Lisa!  :clap:

I know this is a cuss word with some of you ... but have to ask the question ... anyone use Dreamweaver and like it?

P.S.  Shelli I'm up to Lesson 3, Part 1 at www.how-to-build-websites.com!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

You all have beautifull websites bear_original , more lovely than mine, but i will try to do my best. Where do you find all the buttons and frames. Are they in your software or can i find some on the web? Tami, your dolls are absolutly marvellous. What  patience you have and a very good taste bear_wub

Matthea Ontario

bear_wub dreamweaver!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I'm about to learn more about Dreamweaver but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it is more difficult to understand than Front Page.  Well I know I've been into it before and thought 'what'?  lol  too many buttons and functions lol
Hugs Sarah

Board footer