Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've recently been on a roll with my bears selling either privately or on Ebay.  Tonight neither of my two bears Sugar & Spice sold.  They had 10+ watcher each at one time or another and to be honest I'm a little surprised that neither sold.  Surprised and of course once again disappointed.

So...I could use some constructive feedback...do I need to change the way I list my  bears...more info, less info.  Am I pricing them too high?  I'm just not sure where to make improvements at this point.

Thanks for any input you have.

Shantell

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just visited both ended auctions and think that:
A. Your pictures are great
B. The bears are endearing and definitely have the aww factor
C. Your starting bid is very reasonable and acceptable, I wouldn't change it, personally
D. Your description is perfect and you leave nothing unanswered about shipping or the bears, etc.
E. Ebay is very unpredictable and I wouldn't read too far into it. List them again, their new mommies weren't paying attention last time!!!
:hug:
Daphne

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Daphne,

I really have tried to incorporate everything I've read here but sometimes you miss something important or that's not obvious to you but someone else.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Shantell, I endorse everything that Daphne said above and strongly emphasise point E - Ebay is incredibly unpredictable - I was looking at some point in the last 24 hours and it seemed to me that there were very few things with bids on.

I find ebay such a contrary beast -and I will never profess to understand the reasons why some things sell and others don't.  The last two I put up didn't sell. I felt stink when they didn't sell and wondered exactly the same things as you - and  have to admit  I've been a bit loathe to try ebay again but I must! 

Your bears are cute and I wouldnt say that lightly.  Your auction was clear, your photos good - its not you it's the unpredictable world of sales.

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Shantell:

I have a friend that sells pottery & china on eBay and another friend that sells her beautiful handmade pet leashes, collars etc.  I hear the same comments from them.  They can sell, sell, sell and then not.  Who knows why.  My friend has listed on a 7 day listing with lots of watchers and not sold but relists and sells it the same day.   :wacko:

You have great pictures, great write up and awsome bears!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Your bears are adorable, I would not let Ebay get you down.
Ebay is just kinda wierd at times.
Here is a example........... 2 weeks ago I listed a barbie on ebay and started
her at $99, well she never got 1 bid, had 25 people watching her but no bids.
Then I relisted her last week starting at $1 with no reserve, she ended at
$164.00
Go figure!!!!!
Just keep doing what your doing, your bears are adorable, relist them,
you will sell them.
bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

ebay is NOT an indication of your work quality, I use it only as a tool to get my face out there and seen.
I've had things not sell, relist and they go over what I originally wanted.... Who knows why.
Take heart you are doping all right.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Your bears are lovely Shantell .....  bear_thumb and the girls are right. ditto

I glad to hear what you all had to say. I have being debating not listing on ebay any more. I started to feel; that my bears were just not going to sell. I have never used eBay before, so I really didn't know what to expect. 
It is nice to see other bears sell there thro. It is really nice for the artists.  bear_thumb  It helped encourage me to relist them.
But it is getting kinda costly.  bear_sad

Hugs
Kassity

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Please remember that Ebay is a lot about the picture and not as much about the quality of the item.  There are a few artists on there who are selling at incredible prices and having personally seen their work I know it's put together very poorly and not worth what they are getting for it.  Please PLEASE don't let the lack of a sale on ebay or anywhere else bog you down and make you think you need change your work.  We're in a mercurial business, and you tend to remember the bad things and take them more personally than the good things.  You should only make changes to your work because YOU believe you need to make them.  The people who do best in this world remain true to themselves always, remember that!  When you remain true to who you are and believe in your own vision the rest of the world eventually catches up!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Dont' forget timing....so many times on ebay I see things that drop off in sales, teddy bears included, when its a few days before 'pay day'.  A lot of people do live from one paycheck to the next, and may be in love with your bear, but cannot afford to buy it on the day its listed to end.  Give it another go, and see what happens!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Everyone.  I'm ain't hanging up my scissors because of Ebay!!!  I was just curious if there was something I was missing or could change.

It's always nice to know that your not alone and others feel your frustrations.  I really just need to get my website going but it's getting the best of me the past week so I set it aside...so back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantell,

went and looked at the current auction:

Pictures are great!  I did not notice a differerenc in the 'click picture to enlarge'  are you paying extra for that?  Were it me i wouldn't bother because the size you have is great. 

Your photos showed off the color, fur, expression and eyes perfectly.  loved the eyes.  sometimes you can't quite see the eyes very well, but yours poped right out.

I thought the layout was fine, better than fine, very nice. 

description perfect; no questions left hanging

the opening bid seemed really reasonable to me

I know that many people say e-bay is a strange mistress....sometimes hot sometimes cold.  The lady who made one of my Christmas bears told me that she had stopped for quite a while because e-bay was running cold for her.  And that the bear hubs bought was the first one back on.

There are other outlets, besides e-bay....have you considered them?

I thought the whole presentation was great.

Now if our presentations on e-bay have to have special effects to sell anything I think we are in trouble

You've done everything you can, I think, the little guy there now is really precious.......

hugs....get outside today and feel the sun, it'll help cheer you up....i can hardly wait!

bear_wub

dilu

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell,
     I just checked out your auctions and sweetie, there is nothing wrong with your presentation on your auctions at all.  Your pictures are great, your description is excellent and includes all pertinent details for shipping etc.  I would say you could set an example as to how an auction should look.

Ebay is such a strange place - they ought to put a "mental health" warning on their home page cuz it drives me crazy sometimes.   Pieces that make that I consider my best work, often go for the least amount of money and others that I'm not as fond of sometimes go really high.  When you really think about it, it is all sooooo subjective to what is happening in the bidders lives - are there extra bill due this week, are they saving for a holiday etc.  The fact you had so many watchers means your bears were appreciated but maybe not just the right timing. I agree with everyone else - relist them and I'll bet they sell!

Hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You know Shantell, another thing to keep in mind is the average price that you get for your work over a period of time....
If you end up with a bidding war, you might get more than what you thought you'd make, and sometimes it's not because that particular bear was more desireable than another.... it can come down to nothing more than the excitement or ego of whomever was bidding. 
And sometimes you end up making less, or not selling at all for the same reasons that many have alreeday posted.... the right person or persons weren't  on line, or they have a terrible heating bill they have to pay this week.....
I do try to look at my average price over a period of time.... the first year that I listed bears on ebay, my end prices were all over the place!  Really... $25.00 on one, $150.00 on the next, then maybe $40.00...... I just tried to keep in mind that the average price was something I could live with.  I think as a general rule, in the eBay marketplace specifically, the longer you are there, the more your prices even out to a fairly constant and even rate.... that's been true for me at least.  But... that being said, I still occassionally have auctions that surprise me one way or the other! 
You are making great bears, and you are enjoying what you are doing.... Those are the biggest things to keep in mind Shantell!  That, and the fact that we all desperately LOVE you !!!!!  bear_wub

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantell, there is nothing more I can add here.  I agree with everyone else.  This happenes to us all and in no way is a reflection of your work.

Just remember that it only takes ONE person to adopt any bear...maybe that one person was away or just wasn't looking.

Your bears are wonderful.  Give it some time and relist them again.

HUGS, Judi :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original This is great advice! I'm much more experienced in buying than selling, but many many sellers relist unsold stuff immediately.

What's everybody's best advice on the timing of a relist for bears? Does it work better to wait a bit or to throw your bear right back into the ring?

Eileen

Willamette Valley Oregon

Pictures are great!  I did not notice a differerenc in the 'click picture to enlarge'  are you paying extra for that?  Were it me i wouldn't bother because the size you have is great.

Dilu, the "click to enlarge" feature is part of the template I use with from sellersourcebook.com so there is no additional fee for that.  I'm not sure if you can turn it off and on or not so I haven't messed with it.

You are making great bears, and you are enjoying what you are doing.... Those are the biggest things to keep in mind Shantell!  That, and the fact that we all desperately LOVE you !!!!!

Awwwww...Kim, you're making me all teary-eyed.  Stop that...   bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shantell, since I don't sell on ebay, I'm not a good resource person, but I think your work is fantastic and your auction is very pleasing.  Think maybe selling on ebay is very unpredictable and inconsistent - so please don't let it get you down and for sure, keep on making those amazing creations of yours.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell,
I know just just how you feel.  Sometimes mine sell, sometimes not.  Brenda is right about the "Mental Health " warning.  Ebay is a two edged sword.  It can be a grea place to sell, at the same time can drive you over the edge.  I'm convinved there is no way to understand how it works, so I give up trying.  Just know that your bears a amazing and you listings look perfect to me.  Everything is there that needs to be.

I take it so personally, like you , when I get no bids, but try not to dwell on it.   I don't know what else we can do, but keep trying until the right person is watching. I have also learned to try and ignore the # of watchers as I'm sure most are just other curious artists and that is o.k.   

Keep your chin up, and know that you are not alone in this Ebay confusion !  I love your bears and wish I had the money to buy Sugar.   :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Shantell,

I just want to say that I think your Bears are beautiful and your presentation of your
ebay auction looked great.
I would not be put off by them not selling this time.

I attempted to sell two of my Bears on ebay a couple of years ago and they did not sell
so I have not touched it again.

Keep on making your beautiful Bears .... I think that you just need the right person
at the right time, to buy them.

Hugs
Carolyn

Board footer