Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I just got spooked. It never occurred to me before, but today I got a strange email pretending to be from Ebay, but it was spoof. Reading Ebay's security information I discovered that they include both my name and my ebay id in a message sent through their system. That's one way of finding out if something is a legitimate email. Then I got a message from someone asking about a bear on my private website. I haven't sold on ebay, but this message went at least through the system in my messages. BUT this got me thinking that it may not be a good idea to publicly display our ebay ids here or anywhere else, where it can be connected to our real names. Spoofer can find it and create even more difficult to detect fake messages. So I have removed my id from my profile again.

BTW, whoever sent me that message about my bear missed that ebay policy prohibits this kind of usage of their system. Don't email anything through their system that doesn't regard ebay business. However, if you are reading this (if it was someone from TT), I am flattered that you like one of my bears. PM me instead.

Sorry, I'm still a little shook up and rambling. Twice today I feared my account had been hacked. Too much excitement for me.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I have been spooked before...  BUT they had my real name from the eBay system so there is nothing I can do about that.  They can alsoget my real name from eBay by linking back to my website from eBay.  Or vice versa.
It is one of those things that I watch for and accept as part of the risks.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Have you got an ebay account guard on your tool bar? You just hover over it and it says if you are on an ebay verified site. Might not help in this case but it can help at other times. Always better to be careful and slightly untrusting where ebay and information is.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Account guard only works with Windows systems and I am on a Mac. I am very careful though and forward everything suspicious email to spoof@ebay.com. Just wanted to alert everyone to the risks, cause I wasn't aware what releasing my ebay id might do.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Sabine, if  you get an email saying it's from ebay, always check your "messages" in "My Ebay".  It's on the left column.   If it is really from ebay, or a customer emailing you through ebay,  it will always be duplicated in your messages section.  Ebay started that a few months ago, so users have a safeguard to check whether the message is real or not.  Hope I'm not confusing you.

Hugs,

Brenda

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry to hear you got spooked Sabine! I will file your advice in depleted brain cells.
Spotya and take care, Matilda :hug:

Board footer