Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yo-youTT.jpgA co-worker has hired me to restore her old bear. It's the 1st time I've ever seen an old bear like and boy what charm they have in person!

Before I started working on him, she wanted me to take a picture with him and all my teddies. At least the ones I still have.

So I figured I should share the picture here as well. I know, we all love piccies and being nosey is fun!!!

P.S. if anyone has any idea who, what or where this old bear came from........

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

What a fantastic photo! I can't help you identify your friend's old bear, but just had to say how great they all look together!!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Heather, If we could have a close up picture of the old bear it would maybe help us identify him. Whatever you do don't remove old pads this could devalue him. If he needs new pads add them over the top of the original pads to protect them. I was told this by a lady who spends he working life repairing old bears.

Hugs Jane     bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
Could he be Ideal?  One other thought on the paw pads.  Is excelsior coming out?  If she is not concerned about a proper restoration, you could just stitch a patch over the bad area on the paw pad.  There is also the needlefelting trick but I am not sure I would try it on an old bear.  You put a piece of felt under the hole.  Then take tiny bits of felt and needlefelt them to fill in the hole.  When you have the hole filled in you take your iron on steam and press the needlefelted area to make it smooth with the rest of the felt.  That is assuming that the old paw pads are felt!
Hey, I see the fox!  Great job!  But I can't see the whiskers.
Donna

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Take close up picture of him and e-mail them to John Port. I know that he will be able to help you identify him.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys.
Jared, I'm going to send you a PM. Thanks for the advice.

Donna, there is stuff coming out of the pawpads. I'm not sure what she wants to do the bear, so we'll all that she wants done. ANd I'll send you a better pic of the fox and his whiskers.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yep, I'm nosey too...I had to read this post!  Nice photo.  Great bears!

If I may offer just a wee tidbit...you could surface wash the bear.  I have surface washed several old mohair bears and you would not believe how much dirt easliy comes off the mohair.  What big difference it makes to the overall bear.  It brightens the mohair.
I take a warm wet wash cloth with a small amount of liquid soap and rub the bear down all over.  Wait several minutes, then take another clean wet cloth and remove all the soap.  It may take several rubdowns with just plain water.  Then I blow gently blow dry.  This works great.

Thanks for shring yoru photo. :dance:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My nose is as big as everyones elses!!  bear_tongue
I really like that funky blue bear with the ultrasuede eye lids that you posted in another thread!!!  bear_wub

Pipa UK

love the piccie of all your bears :))

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great photo, Heather . . . and I agree with Jared that John Port could identify the bear.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't know John Port by reputation as bear-identifier, but I did have the pleasure of meeting this industry-old-timer of pretty great reknown at the Nevada City show last year.  And I have to tell you that I was just delighted with how friendly and nice he was to everyone, including a completely green show newcomer and industry newbie like me!  Even if he can't ultimately identify your bear (which I doubt), he'll make for a very pleasant email exchange!!!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

There is an article on cleaning bears in the newest issue of TB&F. You only need to use the bubbles to clean your bear, not the soap itself.

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I have Pauline Cockrill's Teddy Bear Encyclopedia under the eyes, and, far as he is, he reminds me very much the 1930s golden J.K.Farnell's teddy of the page 51...
I'm looking again and again in this book, hoping to find something that looks like my (mm...maybe :rolleyes:) big pink guy on ebay and I now see likeness everywhere   :redface:  :redface:  :D.
I hope you'll enjoy the restoration ! I would like to have a try on a poor little guy in a bad state... bear_original
Hugs,
Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Heather, my niece buys old Steiff toys and cleans them so she can flip them on Ebay.  She does a wonderful job on cleaning and like Jared says, she only uses the soap suds, not the soap with the water.  She also uses qtips - she has made some pretty yucky toys, look more that loveable again.   If you need more info, I'd be glad to ask her exactly how she does it.

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer