Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I ordered about a gajillion tushtags from a printer.  They were fairly inexpensive (given that there are a gajillion of them, and all) and work well.  They are not as high quality or pretty and satiny as I would have liked, but the advantage to this kind of papery-type fabric is that I can use one of my permanent Micron markers on the back to write the date the piece was completed (month.year format), the name of the piece, and my signature.  Pretty as they are, the satiny, ribbon-type labels just can't take that kind of treatment, as the ink tends to bleed.

summer-tushtag.jpg

How do YOU mark your work... if at all?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I use Shrinky Dinks and tie on with fishing line:

teddy_tags.jpg

tag-on-bear.jpg

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I do a sculpted polymer clay heart and put on as a necklace with gold mettalic thread but wonder if it is too easily lost by the collector down the road someday. :rolleyes:what do you all think?
  Blessings,Shari.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't think the necklace is too risky, Shari . . . I use them all the time on my girlie bears.  A devoted collector isn't going to do much with the bear that would endanger it or its accessories, in my opinion.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks Sue Ann.It's nice to have a second opinion bear_original On boy bears I make it hand closer up to his neck so his fur hides it a bit.

Hugs,Shari.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Where (exactly bear_ermm ) on the tush is the tag usually sewn? Is it sewn into the seam as you're putting the bear together?

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh... I did NOT know they had special Shrinky Dinks that run thru the inkjet printer!  That is tres cool information, because you could customize every bear's label in that way!  When I first started out I made little opaque, ivory, circular Shrinky Dink tags, but I couldn't figure out how to get an image on them because there either wasn't any such Shrinky Dink available, or it just wasn't available at my local Michael's (I didn't investigate online.)

I learn something new here each day.  Thanks, Lisa!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There's a wealth of information on this forum, Ladies . . . thanks for ALL your input.  And I want everyone to know that Shelli has been the moving and viable force behind the establishment of this particular forum "Teddy Tips and Techniques".  The knowledge and tips that are scattered all over this board will now be found in one place, making them so much easier to find.  Three cheers for Shelli and a standing "O"!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hear Hear!! :D
Eileen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Eileen,
I actually sew my 'tush tag' into the back of the left thigh.....it kinds looks a bit rude coming out their butt and if you put it in their middle back seam it's a bit obtrusive in my opinion. Some collectors don't like them so it's nice to put it somewhere not too obvious I reckon.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

That's a great idea, Hayley. Thanks! :D

You don't want to do anything to compromise the HUG!!

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thanks to Laura Lynn for the idea, i too make my tags with shrinky dinks.  I got mine at Michael's, they were in the scrap book isle (the girls helped me find them, believe me, i was lost!!!) I even used a 40% off coupon that was in their flier which made them even more affordable.  I bought a paper punch that was in the shape of a tag and punched the shrinky dinks before baking and voila, i had a tag!!! thanks again for the idea... bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

WHat do you write with on the shrinky dink tags............ Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I stamp a bee on it and underneath it says Kim-Bee Bears 2005

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I wonder if mine are ink jet ones.... just got a printer finally so I will have to check it out!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Tushtags indeed!  Aw, Shelli, you are so American!!! ;)

I use a satin label (do I sound like the Queen when I say that?? :P) which I have printed for me and sent through on a nice ribbon reel.  Each bear has my satin label sewn into his back, right above his erm ... er ... bum. bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am sooooo far behind the curve on this.....I haven't even cruised over here before now.....but

WHAT ARE SHRINKY DINKS?

do you write up what you want on the computer?  Is there special software or do you use your own?

I'm sorry ladies.  Trying to get caught up in a hurry

Dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

PS  I am about 2 hours away from the closest Michaels and JoAnns- so do I just google shrinky dinks?

Is there a special name for the tag type?

Yikes I would never have sent out a quilt without a label, and here I have been sending out gollies not even thinking about it....

honestly.....

Someone needs to get her head out of her....uh......tushtags. bear_rolleyes

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Shrinky dinks are plastic that you put in the oven - after you color, write on, stamp on, cut and they shrink to 1/3 of the original size.  They are at Michael's - not sure about ACMoore - Ask the girls that work there where to find them in teh store, they were in the scrapbooking isle at my local Michael's. 

Here is a website for Shrinky Dinks - http://shrinkydinks.goemerchant7.com/in … ndedDepts=

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You can also shrink Shrinky Dinks, by the way, with a hot air gun.  It gets REALLY hot; very much NOT for the little ones!  These hot air guns are used by crafters with embossing powders and pigment inks, for rubber stamping and scrapbooking.

Just FYI, since it's a lot easier to heat up one of these babies -- you just flip the "on" switch and it's hot enough in about three seconds to shrink your dinks -- than it is to devote an entire oven to shrinking a one inch plastic tag.

I have done this myself and it works beautifully.

You can find hot air guns of this type in the ink/stamping/embossing powder section of your local Michael's or craft store.  It looks kinda like a straight (instead of l-shaped) blow dryer.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Good idea, Shelli :D

I've got one, but I've never used it for anything but stripping paint.

Listen to the lady--it is very hot!!

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH!  my husband has one of those!!!! Geez, never thought of that!  Thanks Shelli!

Board footer