Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

"Ain't nothin' like the reeeeeaaal thing."

While working on an 8" PINK teddy bear this afternoon, this guy came wandering through my back yard to show me what a REAL bear looks like!!!

BearDeck.jpg

BearSniffing.jpg

This is a big black bear..... and either he thinks my petunias are tasty or he's being bashful about showing us his privates!!!

MALE.jpg
Perhaps he thinks I'm missing a part when I make teddy bears!!!

This guy is new to the neighborhood - or to our back yard anyway!! I hope he finds his way back home - it's kind of neat to see a bear that close up but then again it's not.

My hubby gets the photography credit. He was SO excited. His first up close bear sighting!!! (I saw two cubs last year - same place - didn't see mama but I'm sure she was around! They were cute and boy do I wish I'd had my camera!!)

Now, who sings that song I started off with????? Female, 50' or 60's era I think.

Bear Hugs, (I'll stick with the pink furry kind today, thank you!!)
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Whoa . . . Daphne, that must have been exciting and a little frightening at the same time!!! bear_shocked bear_shocked  And wow, your yard is really terrific!!  I'm sooooo jealous . . . my possums, raccoons, squirrels, bunnies, etc. in my yard aren't nearly as exciting as a REAL BEAR!!! bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad  Some of my neighbors have seen coyotes moseying down the street at night, but I haven't seen one yet.  Great photos!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Daphne...Id almost faint if I saw a bear in our yard..yes I live in Oregon but in a mobile park, he, he. We are still fairly close to the country and its possible...hope not tho.
My neice is out in the country near here, she gets coyotes all the time...they are so bold and will carry your dog off for lunch right in front of you if you dont watch out.
Very  nice and colorful pictures your hubby took , how exciting...Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh wow!!!!! how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!  That is amazing!!!!!  Great photos, and thankyou for sharing them with us!

We had a kangaroo hop down our street a few years ago, and thought that was amazing - but that is nothing in comparison!

Danni

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Oh wow!! How cool to see a real bear in the nature!! I have only seen them at zoo´s, not same thing I think. Its great piccies!! I understand your hubby was excited!!
Isnt it scary to have a big bear in the back yard? I think I would be a little nervouse...

Thanks for sharing!! bear_laugh

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Wow Daphne,
                       Thankyou so much for sharing this experience with us. I keep on looking and looking at the pictures . Hubby did a great job with the camera too. Where abouts is Lake Sunapee,it sounds Idyllic.  Hugs Rita xxxxx in Sunny Scotland.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne, thank you for beautiful pictures!!!
It's so exiting but frightening (@@
I don't know what to do if I found a bear in
my neighborhood. and by the way, your back yard
is so lovely. bear_laugh
I love the real bear and he(or she) is sooooooooo
beautiful. 
Thank you for sharing.
Bear Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Beautiful! Wow! How I wish I could experience a visit from a real bear like that. Although I would make sure I'm tucked up safely inside the house. What a wonderful experience for you and your husband Daphne. The pictures are great, what a handsome boy he is!
The most exciting animal to wander through my garden was a scraggy old fox. I felt so sorry for him as he looked like a good feed was just what he needed. I thought it best not to put food out and encourage him to come to feed as I dare not risk my dogs getting any illness that the fox may be carrying. I so wanted to help the poor thing but I had to be sensible. The main visitors are my neighborhood cats that like to pee on my flowers, my dog Lucy chases them away but as soon as she gets anywhere near them she comes in yelping...silly dog. I hate her chasing the cats as they are only doing what cats do, but I suppose Lucy chasing cats is only what dogs do.

Jane.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Daphne,
Now that is too cool.  We have had a few bear sightings in our area, but never in my back yard.  I do get other creatures (deer, raccoons, skunks etc.)  Just the other evening I went to lock up the hens and when I rounded the corner there stood the cutest little skunk.  Fortunately I know a bit about dealing with these little guys.  Had that been my daughter, she would have let out a scream and it would have been all over (all over her that is).

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Wow,that's awesome and a bit shocking all at once.I second everyone on all counts...great pictures,beautiful yard.We have had sightings very close to us and I was always nervous when the kids were younger that a bear or coyote would wander in the yard.I would love to see one though.We watched two at a wildlife park that are famous for eating at a picnic table but my pictures were no where as good as yours.

Hugs and blessings,Shari.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

When I was younger, there was a huge black bear (I think it was a black bear) in our back yard eating our apples!  My siblings and I stood on the roof of the house looking at it - and our neighbor went closer to it and was taking pictures!!! NUTS!!!  They are neat creatures, just scare me though!  bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

hI Daphne

Love the pics.  My husband sees them all the time on his hikes- but I don't see them very often....and I wish they would visit....

When they uh water....it keeps the deer away from the flowers.

Just when I think I have one the deer wont eat.....boom....gone

So far Lavender is OK  they leave that alone.  My deer love petunias though...so it was nice to see yours....also is that nasturtiums- oh darn.....I've tried 4 different spellings-none look right!

I've printed up your pics. cuz I am sure honey never got to see a bear water the garden!  Fulfilling a much needed service your guy is!

Hugsandthanks

Dilu bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures and thanks for the compliments on my back yard. What you see in the photo is about all there is of grass. There are 2 1/2 more acres of woods back there that we are slowly thinning out. It's a lot of work!

This is the second day in a row, and same time, that the bear has come to visit. The day before he took the thistle feeder AND the huge branch (1/2 a tree almost) it was hanging from off to the woods! Thistle feeder remains were found, it was almost empty to start with so can't imagine he got much of a snack from it! He found nothing tasty yesterday although he sniffed the hummingbird feeder. Wonder if he'll be back at 5:00pm again today? I'll be ready with camera!!

Our dog has caught a quick glimpse of it. I was holding him at the time and felt his heart start to race and the growling - wow!!! Of course his tail was wagging the whole time because he thinks EVERY living creature was put on this earth to play with him. I can just imagine what he'd do had he been outside with it!

We have deer, moose, coyotes, bunnies, skunks, fishercats, a resident redtail hawk and owls to name a few. We are definately in the woods here!!!

Rita - we live in central New Hampshire (Northeastern corner of the US) in the mountains. The area is starting to get built up and the animals are having to forage for food in settled areas now. I think it will become a problem in the next few years. Our little neighborhood is surrounded by preserved lands so there will be no building near us - the animals are safe!

Dilu - those yellow flowers are my pansies - they are in sad shape as it's too hot for them this time of year but I keep nursing them along hoping they'll survive until fall when they'll thrive again!

Daphne

Board footer